Walk the Walk, Hike the Hike?

I seem to remember reading that the Army says a healthy adult can walk 4 mph, at a fair clip.

Let's say a boy can average 3 mph.

Now, let's say the boy carries a back pack holding a canteen of water, binoculars, a Scout handbook, a poncho, first aid kit and a snack, and let us further say that he PUSHES a non-selfpropelled lawn mower at a steady clip and takes 2 full hours to cut his family lawn (and ends up with a well deserved sweat), CAN HE add the calculated 6 miles to his Hiking Merit Badge AND/OR Fifty Miler patch diary???

UMMMM?

YiS

I used to mow lawns when I was a scout. I must admit I never contemplated using a lawn mowing as a hike. I used to mow my Dad's lawn too (I suppose it was the whole families, but we just called it Dad's lawn). I used a push mower for several years. It took me 4 1/2 hrs to mow the lawn. If I did all the edges and stuff, it would take closer to 6. If I just walked where I mowed without mowing, it would probably take an hour, two at the most. I don't think I would try to equate mowing with hiking.

When I left for college, my Dad bought a riding lawn mower for my younger brother to use. He was able to mow the lawn in a couple of hours. Go figure.

SWScouter

I don't think we can really answer this question yet - so much information seems to be missing.

For instance, is it raining? What type of rain - a fine mist? A mere drizzle? A steady rain? A heavy downpour? Thunder and lightning with tornado sirens sounding???

What about the mower? Are the blades sharp? Has the mower been properly oiled? Was the mower borrowed from an elderly neighbor? Is the mower rusty from having been left out on the lawn all winter? Is the mower a Sear's Craftsman???

What is the snack? Is it fruit? A banana perhaps? Or maybe an orange? Or an apple? Or maybe even a pineapple (dare I dream)? Or is the snack trail mix? Just raisins and peanuts? Or are M&M's added to the mix? Is it a fancy trail mix with coconut and mixed nuts? Does the trail mix have dried fruit? Or is the snack a package of Ho Ho's???

So many questions....

CalicoPenn

LOL!!!

Sounds just like a scheme that our older scout patrol would come up with.

Picture a SM with a raised eyebrow and responding with a guffaw!

With this criterea I think with a little calcualtion that I must of earned my 50 or 51st 50 miler patch ;)

yis

If he takes more than 6 hours to complete the lawn he might be considered for the Hornaday Award as well, probably only the first level though. If he mows the other side of the sidewalk, this might also qualify for the Historic Trails award. If he changes a spark plug that has rusted over, this might get him a small engine repair mb. I can also foresee such things as the Home Repair mb if he sticks a piece of downspout back on after it disconnected during the winter. There are more than just a few possibilities. Let's keep mentally alert! fb

• 1 month later...

Oh, let's not forget the Honor Medal with Crossed Palms (saving or attempting to save a life at extreme risk to oneself) for saving his dear ol' dad from a potential heart attack from the physical exertion of mowing the lawn, all while manuevering a dangerous, bladed machine.

Calico