Need Advice re Shared ECoH

GoodKid and another Scout have just completed their EBoRs, and neither wants much of a ceremony. Both boys would prefer a shared ECoH, and both sets of parents and the SM are comfortable with that.

It's a small troop and there really isn't a history in terms of troop ECoH traditions, in case that matters. Everyone seems pretty laid back and agreeable about the whole thing (!).

I've read some of the Pros and Cons here:

http://www.scoutingmagazine.org/issues/0305/d-flin.html

and I could go either way, but since that's what the boys want, and since the parents are ok with it, that's likely what we'll do.

So, my questions are, what are the logistics? Do we go through everything for one boy at a time, then hit the punch and cookies? Or do we go back and forth? Or ??? What is shared and what is individual?

Do they both stand up there the whole time? Do we send out two invitations or one? ??? Does anyone know of some programs or scripts for shared ECoHs that we could look at for ideas?

Or is the whole idea a bad one???

thanks,

GKM

Congratulations to you and GoodKid for making Eagle.

I've usually seen one ceremony at at time, but I also recently saw 7 scouts, that's right, seven, get their Eagle at the same time.

Mine was solo as are most.

You can check out the following link for some guidelines and scripts and you may want to combine elements of one with another.

http://www.scoutresources.org/bs/index.html

Since your troop doesn't have much of a tradition for Eagle CoH (as you said), it's about time to start some.

Each scout should probably do his own invitations but they should be printed as a joint ceremony so some gradma or aunt are confused later. It may be nice to have a "special adult" make a few remarks about a scout, maybe a scouter from some leader training course or something. Mr. Jones says some funny stories about AverageKid while Mr. Smith remarks about GoodKid.

We used slide projectors in the olden days, but maybe a continuaous slide show going featuring GoodKid and AverageKid at campouts, meetings, parades from their early days to today.

You (they) may want to tailor the whole "logistics" you ask about. did they do alot together? Were they in the same patrol and do the same things? Their scouting resume should be read separately.

If you did one scout and then the other, only rude people would leave before the second was done, so I see no need to switch back and forth. A pot luck dinner works well or a catered event is fine too. Get RSVP's for your invitations so you have enough room at which ever location you choose. It's up to you, them and AverageKid's parents too.

Good luck,

Gonzo1

If yours is a small community, (and even if it isn't!) contact the newspapers and see what they would welcome in the way of notice. They might even send out a reporter and photog to your ECoH. In any event, no matter how formal (Marine Band plays) or informal (uncle Ed from Altoona plays his guitar), take pictures and send a notice and pictures in to the papers.They will note it in the local listings. And it will be good for the boys scrap book (he does have a scrap book?).

Depending on the history of the Troop, you might search out past Eagles and have them come to add their congrats to the rest.

YiS

My Eagle COH was combined. The other guy was a pretty good friend and our dads were close. So it was fine with us. There was another guy who earned his Eagle a few months before me that I would not have wanted to share the stage with. So I think a lot of that decision is up to the scouts and their families.

The Eagle COH planning book by Mark Ray is a good asset. Also, check with other troops in the area to find out who has put on a nice ceremony comparable to what you want. Meet with them to get suggestions. Look at their photos, etc.

Good luck!

Our District Eagle coordinator always encouraged boys to send an invitation to the Governor, Mayor, state representatives and US Senators and representatives. You'd be surprised (or maybe not) on how many will respond with at least a letter of congratulations. You need to give them enough lead time. And if one shows up, they can usually be worked into the program. Give them a time limit, though! A shared ceremony can be as meaningful as a solo one, good luck.

Hi Goodkidsmom

Our troop has done a few of these, and I will say the scouts seem to like them the most because they are bit more relaxed with the speakers doing shorter presentations, and there are a lot of friends and family attending.

Funny enough, our scouts designed our first multiple ECOH and they used a simplistic approach. So start off from what you think a single would be like then modify it.

>>So, my questions are, what are the logistics?> Do we go through everything for one boy at a time, then hit the punch and cookies?>What is shared and what is individual?>Do they both stand up there the whole time?> Do we send out two invitations or one?>Does anyone know of some programs or scripts for shared ECoHs>Or is the whole idea a bad one???

I just went through, as a Dad, a 6 Scout ECOH, so here's my spin:

So, my questions are, what are the logistics?

We did semi-formal (in a church). All the young men sat in the altar area, as did the host and the guest speakers.

What do the kids want? Anything wrong with a late autumn Saturday afternoon hamburger cookout?

Do we go through everything for one boy at a time, then hit the punch and cookies? Or do we go back and forth?

For ours, common opening, guest speakers. Parents came up and decorated the kids (and vice versa), also kids sought out additional Eagle Mentors and gave pins to them. Kids then got their Eagle Charge, and said their thank yous. Off to the basement.

What is shared and what is individual?

More important is division of labor on the prep work and costs. I had responsibility for design/print of the invitations and the program. I kicked $20 into the punch and cake. Others found the church, got the speakers. We all set up the church and reception hall "the day of."

Do they both stand up there the whole time?

We had chairs for them to sit in :) It's an Eagle COH, not the Spanish Inquisition (NOBODY LIKES the Spanish Inquisition, we have three ...) ;)

Do we send out two invitations or one? ???

We did one invite listing all six boys.

Does anyone know of some programs or scripts for shared ECoHs that we could look at for ideas?

Here is the program from our program brochure:

Eagles Soaring High

AN EAGLE COURT OF HONOR CELEBRATING

Eagle 1 Eagle 2

Eagle 3 Eagle 4

Eagle 5 Eagle 6

Eagle 7

Venturing Crew NNNN

Council, BSA

Chartered by Joes' Club

Somewhere, USA

September 16, 2006, Somewhere Church