declining to sit on a BOR

The problem and discussion are educational and to me, they emphasize the need for good communication between the SM and those who might sit on a BOR. If the Scout receives the SMs approval is the BOR a "done deal?" Not necessarily although not passing a Scout can lead to bad feelings. In our troop and I guess most troops, the BOR follows closely on the heels of the Scoutmaster conference, there is no interim period for corrective actions on the part of the Scout prior to the BOR. I would participate in the BOR if asked. I would not attempt to grind an axe or blind side either the Scout or the other members. I would attempt to get the answers from the Scout that satisfied me that he was ready for the rank and if I did not get the answers that convinced me I would not vote for his advancement. Venividi's last paragraph sums it up pretty well: Your unwillingless to sit on BOR (should that be your decision) should be a red flag to the SM and others. Good luck with this.

Lisa,

Don't decline, sit on the board. Ask the questions that need asking. Those questions will 'put him on notice' and let him know he is being watched.

Also, talk to the SM and have the SM get with the SPL / ASPL to put the peer pressure on to not bully anyone. The SPL will be a better influence than the scouts parents.

If you see a problem and don't take any corrective action, yo're wrong.

In this first case, the boy is big for his age and has a history of picking out younger/smaller victims. He's done it to lots of kids.

If there is real bullyin' goin' on, a BOR is not the place to address it, and the parent of one of the victims is not the person to address it. Addressin' it there will not be successful, and may make things worse. Bullyin' needs to be brought to the SM and CC. Rank is irrelevant, fixin' the behavior and improving the life of the other kids in the troop is what counts.

For the second case, a boy who has not yet shown the Scout Spirit to be moved into a leadership/responsibility role, rank is the way to address it. Awards like earning a rank are incentives for hard work and positive behavior, eh? If the positive behavior isn't there yet, it's OK to wait for it.