Immediate Recognition Kit

I'm not aware of the kits but immediate recognition will always be a good thing. If a Scout earns the award by finishing a board or a merit badge by getting the card signed off on, pull him up at the end of the meeting and announce that he has gotten ______. You don't necessarily have to give him anything but he will feel good about being recognized right away.

Also, get him the badge as soon as possible and let him wear it right away. You can make another announcement at the next Court of Honor.

Never having been a Cub leader, I had to go to Scoutstuff.org to see what an "immediate recognition kit" was. To save someone else the trip, they're the beads and thongs that are worn on the front of the uniform shirt to signify advancement towards the next rank.

The reason why no Boy Scout troops use them is that they're specific to the Cub program.

Most troops do as explained by eagle_scout98. We recognize the rank advancement right there at the end of the meeting when the Scout has passed his Board of Review. Then, at the Court of Honor, he is recognized again.

Besides, it wouldn't be too safe to have losts of beads hanging off the front of a Scout uniform while cooking, cutting, etc.

- Oren

The recognition kits are not just for cub scouts. The Boy Scout version is leather and has three thongs to hold beads for individual requirements for Tenderfoot, 2nd Class and 1st Class. It is meant to be worn on the belt.

I saw them in our local shop the other day and looked it up. Apparently, you give out a bead to the scout each time he passes an individual rank requirements (T-1st class).

Seems like it would be a good idea for those young guys. May take them a while to finish a rank and an immediate recognition for a requirement might be nice. You know, "Joe Scout just completed his (insert requirement here), so he has earned a bead."

I completely agree to the immediate recognition of a scout after he has completed a rank.

But, I seek the wisdom of the forum. I will also check with the PLC and see what they think about it.

We have used them in our troop. The younger boys were always very enthused about them. At every meeting I would call up each boy that completed a rank requirement and award a green, white, or red bead. The only down side was that sometimes a knot would come loose and all the beads would fall off and be lost.

It all comes back to that immediate recognition. I had never heard of the ones for the Boy Scouts (and now explained I know what the Cub ones are) but they are not a bad idea.

There is a Troop in my area that I used to be associated with that has name tags made for each Scout (nice ones with a leather holder) and they have beads hanging from them that represent the number of nights they have been camping. There are two different colors of beads, one for days and one for weeks (obviously for when you have 7 days, you redo it to reflect a week) and then a third color bead for # of summer camps attended.

That has nothing to do with advancement but another way to give recognition to the youth is to give out the beads for the weekend camping trip or summer camp at the next meeting.