Once again,

As I understand the rules, once the rank has been reported on an Advancement Report, the deal is done. If someone has a better understanding than I, please, please, cite your source!!! :)

I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but I recommend, ASM59, you tread lightly going forward. It's neither slander nor libel if you tell the truth, but be certain you are telling the truth vis a vis the Scout and what he didn't do. Do you want the risk of parents suing you ???

It's glaringly obvious there's need for lots of training in this unit.

ASM59 initially posted >Scout2 sat down with the Committee Members for his BOR and presented his book to them. None of the Life requirements were checked off, initialed or signed.>

ASM59, later posted >The only advancement requirements missing that either did not happen or I am not sure of are:

- The missing SM conference

- Req. 4; While a Star Scout, take part in service projects totaling at least 6 hours of work. >

While I realize there are only five requirements (outside of SM conf and BOR), these two are mutually exclusive statements. Also, reviewing the requirements, only the required MBs appear to be "externally verifiable." Stated another way, the requirements can be subjective and, in the absence of any troop rules, are up to the SM to determine whether or not they've been satisfied.

This leads me to ask, and I don't intend to be rude, but have you actually seen this Scout's book or are you going by what you've heard? Dangerous route, if it's the latter.

Vicki

• 3 weeks later...

Our troop had a similar situation not too long ago. It involved a renagade ASM who was signing his name in the SM's stead, even after he had been asked several times not to do so. In our troop all SM conferences are done by the SM, except in the case of his own son.

The scout in question knew his SM probably would not sign off the scout spirit requirement, as his behavior had been an issue. So scout goes instead to Renagade ASM (who is also the father of his best friend). Advancement Chair is the brother of renagade ASM. Together, they put this scout through a SM conference and BOR, before the SM even knew what hit him. This all took place during non meeting times without the SM present. My feeling was it was sneaky and disrespectful on the part of the ASM, AC and the scout and perhaps should not have been honored.

Problem was, SM had already been accused of "picking on" this scout because he refused to make him Troop Guide. So after the fact, the SM looks petty if he refuses to honor the advancement. Not to mention the AC had already sent the records to district and announced his advancement at a meeting. This was, in my opinion, truly a case of "bypassing the SM". CM knew the scout's behavior was questionable, but with the AC's blessing didn't question the ASM signature or the BOR.

This ASM did similar things all the time, bypassing rules and people, while the TRAINED committee looked on. His excuse was always the same "I didn't know"-while he is the MOST HIGHLY TRAINED scout leader I know! The list of training he has is amazing. Thankfully, this ASM is no longer with the troop. But he never seems to really go away. We just found out that Mr. Renagade ASM has been charging awards to our troop's account, for his son (no longer with our troop), at the local scout shop, with his brother's (our AC's) knowledge. AS Rosanna Rosanna Danna used to say "It's always something."

firecrafter

Mr Firecrafter,

First, I assume all you state is true. Remember, though, we only have the info you present us.

Given your post, may I recommend you report "Mr Renegades" actions to your COR, UC, and DE? May I also recommend your CC IMMEDIATELY(!!!) change the people authorized to draw against the Council account at the local Scout Shop? Finally, may I recommend your CC consider having a 1/1 talk with your advancement coordinator?

The Scouter you describe is the Scouter BSA does not need.

John-in-KC

I assure you, all this and much more, where this "scouter" is concerned is true.

The ASM in question was removed from his position by the IH of our charter. He remains in scouting, determined to push or drag his pain-in-the-rear son, to eagle. Out troop has been without a UC for quite a while, so no help there. The DC is part of our troop, so is aware. He is full of bluster but does not follow through. DC is also a firm believer in NEVER expelling a scouter from a troop. Most of the problems with this ASM were swept under the rug by troop CM, even though the SM asked many times for support. I am amazed at their willingness to accept substandard behavior rather than openly addressing issues. I realize some issues are uncomfortable for some, but ignoring them obviously solves nothing. We have paid the price for that.

We are in the process of replacing our CC, the past CC is currently training him. I anticipate a housecleaning with our new charter year. I agreed to serve as CC if no one stepped up, and frankly, am relieved the other gentleman said "yes". I think he will be tough but fair. He works well with the SM and is a great choice for our unit. I intend to give him my full support.

This last, the purchasing of awards, was very recent and was only reported to the CC last week. Only two people are listed on our Council account (we checked again, and made the scout shop aware). Neither of these men had authorization to make purchases. The shop staff apparently sold things to them without the proper authority/paperwork. Troubling, yes. Thankfully the cost was minimal, but "a scout is trustworthy" comes to mind. I was assured that a long talk between CC/SM and AC is in the works. I believe the AC will resign rather than submit. That's OK too.

I, and others, have been troubled by those who have allowed these folks to bully and push, to the detriment of the scouts. The troubles have been long and drawn out. With the appointment of a strong new CC, and some time, I am pretty confident most of this is behind us. We have a good solid troop. Mostly just a few who do not share the same vision. It's hard, but not impossible.

I have recommended in the past that the CC & SM report this scouter to the DE. I believe they have not done so because they are weary of dealing with the situation(s). I am sure they are just happy to be done with it. I do agree that this is a person who BSA does not need. I will share your thoughts with the leadership, and again encourage them to act.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

firecrafter