A young man in my troop has earned his Eagle. The first one in about 2 years. Yay! A question has arisen regarding the Eagle Charge.

In planning his COH, the young man requested that his former Scoutmaster administer the Eagle Charge. I think that's a great idea. However, when I told the former SM that the scout wanted him to do that, he said he can't because he himself is not an Eagle.

I haven't found anything that says who has to administer the Eagle Charge. None of the various Charges I've found make any mention. Now, I can see where it would be nice and symbolic to have an Eagle administer the Charge. But with the paucity of Eagles from our troop, that's not too easy. Besides, the scout has a great deal of respect for his former SM. Our troop doesn't have any established "tradition" that has to be followed - each COH has pretty much been created from scratch depending upon the desires of the individual scout.

Thoughts and opinions are welcome. Thank you.

oldsm, Your first sentence says the important thing, he has earned the Eagle rank. National has accepted his petition and awarded the rank advancement. The Eagle Charge is ceremony it can be done by anyone and the more meaning it has for the recipient the better. I say the former SM should do it unless it goes against the former SMs views. I would only administer the charge as a last possible option. I also think it should be administered by an Eagle Scout but that is a personal view and only applies to me.

LongHaul

Eagle Charge:

_____________: "Scouts of all nations make up one of the most wholesome and significant movements in the world's history. You have been judged by the Boy Scouts of America as being worthy of this honor. All who know you rejoice in your achievement. This award, as you will know, is one of honor and responsibility. You are a marked man. As an Eagle Scout, you have assumed a solemn obligation to do your duty to God, to Country, to your fellow Scouts, and to mankind in general. This is a great undertaking. As you live up to your obligations you bring honor to yourself and to your brother Scouts."

"America has many good things to give you and your children after you; but these good things depend for the most part on the quality of her citizens. Our country has had a great past. You can help make the future even greater."

"I charge you to undertake your citizenship with a solemn dedication. Be a leader, but lead only toward the best. Lift up every task you do and every office you hold to the highest level of service to God and to your fellow man."

"So live and serve, that those who know you will be inspired to finer living. I charge you to be among those who dedicate their hearts, hands, skills, and abilities to the common good. Help to build America's future by continuing to set an example of clean living, honest work, unselfish citizenship and reverence for God, whatever others may do. You will leave behind you a record of which you may be justly proud."

"Eagle Candidate _____________, I charge you to enter this Eagle Scout brotherhood holding without reservation and ever before you the ideals of honor and service. By the repetition of the Eagle Scout promise before your fellow members, you will become an Eagle Scout. When you pledge yourself on your sacred honor, you will be sealing your eternal loyalty to the code of the Eagle Scout with the same words which closed the Declaration of Independence."

"Will all Eagle Scouts here tonight please stand and renew your Eagle Scout promise as_____________ joins our brotherhood? (Pause) Scout sign; repeat after me;"

"I reaffirm my allegiance .... to the three promises of the Scout Oath .... I thoughtfully recognize .... and take upon myself .... the obligations and responsibilities .... of an Eagle Scout. .... On my honor, I will do my best .... to make my training an example .... and my status and my influence .... count strongly for better Scouting .... and for better citizenship .... in my troop, .... in my community, .... and in my contacts with other people. .... To this I pledge my sacred honor."

"Two. Please be seated" "_____________, your conduct along the trail has been excellent. You have rededicated yourself to the principles of Scouting. But one more thing is important ... your future." "As an Eagle Scout, you become a guide to other Scouts. You become an example in your community. Remember that your actions are now a little more conspicuous and people will expect more of you. To falter in your responsibility would reflect not only on you, but on your fellow Eagles and all of Scouting. The torch you carry is not only yours, but it is also ours."

---------------------

This was the Eagle charge at my Eagle ceremony. There are different versions out there though. According to:

""Will all Eagle Scouts here tonight please stand and renew your Eagle Scout promise as_____________ joins our brotherhood? (Pause) Scout sign; repeat after me;"

"Our brotherhood" sounds like the speaker is an Eagle himself.

Either way, I say let the Scout have whomever he likes read the Eagle charge. Usually in my experience only other Eagles give the charge, whether that is required or not I am not sure. Keep us posted.

YIS

The Eagle Charge used by our Troop is administered by an Eagle Scout. This is due to the way it is written and our Troop custom. I see no reason his former SM couldn't give the Eagle charge if it is written correctly. It is this young man's ECOH and I think it should be planned by him and his family, not the Troop Comm.