On June 20, a young man had his Eagle BOR. He passed. His parents either already had or went out and purchased an Eagle patch. At the last minute he asked to go to Summer Camp (June 25 was 1st day). His mother sewed on an Eagle patch... he went as an Eagle.

He has not yet been approved by National.

Was this OK?

I know that for other Rank Advancements, the scout begins the Rank on the day he passes the BOR... but I don't think that's the case for Eagle.(This message has been edited by Dozy)

The date of the BOR is what will be cataloged at National headquarters in Irving, TX not their pride. The ceremony is courteous way of including those that had meaning along the way. The SM and/or the CC should have let him and his family understand how important it is to include others on his accomplishment. This sets an example for all to follow. His method lacks the expected level of maturity of an Eagle Scout. FB

When approved by National the date of EBOR will be used on the Eagle confirmation letter and subsequent Eagle package documents.

My Council's Scout shop,a National Scout shop, requires the confirmation letter to buy or order an Eagle presentation kit. They also require documentation to purchase Eagle rank badges or Eagle medals.

What does surprise me is that without waiting the few weeks for the Eagle confirmation letter his parents were able to acquire an Eagle rank badge.

Our Troop tells the parents that nothing is official until Eagle confirmation letter is received. They are also told that the Eagle rank badge will be awarded the meeting after the confirmation letter is received and Eagle presentation kit is purchased.

Just a reminder that anything, including Eagle patches and brand new presentation kits are routinely available on Ebay. Most Ebay sellers don't give a rat's patoot about the BSA rules or customs. If BSA were serious about it, they would ensure that brand new Eagle stuff is more tightly controlled, e.g., one presentation kit per approved application...I would even go so far as to imprint each one with a serial number for tracking purposes. Apparently there are councils where you can buy whatever you want and then resell on Ebay.

What does surprise me is that without waiting the few weeks for the Eagle confirmation letter his parents were able to acquire an Eagle rank badge.

I've been able to purchase second Rank patches when I tell them it's for my son's second shirt. He has one for Patrol Leader and one for Den Chief. My Scout shop accepted this and easily. I don't know if they have tighter reins on Eagle patches.

As for eBay, I've been there and that's where I purchase used Scout Shirts for our ScoutReach boys and other families who want to save money. Many of them come fully loaded with patches. I tive the extra patches to our AC. He just files them away for possible emergency use, but more of a scrapbook collection, but they are never used for Rank Advancements. Each boy receives a brand new Rank patch, not a hand-me-down.

I knew that the Eagle award was retroactive to the date of the BOR, and I always assumed that it wasn't official until approved by National... therefore, I assumed it was premature for this boy to show up at Summer Camp (his last ever) wearing an Eagle patch.

No issue was made out of it. It was just a quiet concern of protocol by the Troop leaders.

While the date of the BOR is used on the certificate.

After the BOR the application has to be signed by the SE. He or She normally is never around when you need him or her!!

The Eagle Rank is awarded by the National Council of the BSA so it has to be approved by them.

So yes the Lad and his parents were a little out of order, but I for one would be willing to take plenty of no notice.

In fact I'd want to give the Lad a pat on the back.

Eamonn.

I'm wholeheartedly with Eamonn here.

As a MC, a CC, and a COR, the one thing I CONSISTENTLY hear from our District Guest at an Eagle Board of Review is the message of "You are, as of RIGHT NOW, an Eagle Scout."

The only thing the SE sees is a completed app. The only thing National sees is a completed app.

Anyone know how long it usually takes to receive Eagle approval from National?

Anyone know exactly how fine the teeth in the comb are when going over the Eagle candidates records?

I'm always concerned about errors coming back to haunt the scout.

I will try to answer your questions based on my experience and what the district rep. who sits on most of our Eagle BORs has told me.

1. It usually takes 4-6 weeks for national to review and approve all documentation. Sometimes less, but if you tell scouts and parents 4-6 weeks you should be safe.

2. National checks dates, deadlines, and signatures. I've actually sat with the woman who does the application checks at council before our SE signs. She has a program that she enters everything into and if there are discrepancies (like, the date for advancement doesn't match council records, etc.) the program will not allow her to continue entering the info.

Personally I have not seen any Eagle apps that national returned, and from what others tell me, on the rare occasions that this happens, it is usually just a minor paperwork issue - but I agree with you, always better to be on the safe side!

As for the situation you described, no, that probably wouldn't happen in my son's troop because the adult leaders are extremely clear with boys and parents that they're not "official" until National says so. But, I'm inclined to take Eamonn's approach here too.

Lisa'bob

If you are still getting 4-6 weeks turnaround on Eagle Approvals from National then my council must be doing something different. I have had 4 Eagles in the last 6 months and 7-10 days from the date I turned it into the Registrar to the date it showed up in my mailbox from the Council has been the norm.

I used to tell parents the 4-6 week rule, but after being told by the Registrar on my first one this year that it would be back in a week and it was I changed my tune and my planning.

In our Council everything on the application is checked before the Board of Review so afterwards it's just a matter of making sure the final signatures are there and getting the Scout Executive to sign it before it is sent to National. Having everything computerized has made a big difference.

I think when we congratulate the new Eagle at the end of his Board of Review we always add the caveat "Pending Approval by National" and then once I get the paperwork back I let them know it's official.

All good to know, thanks... Since there's such a huge difference in timeline, looks like I'll have to do some of my own digging.

Knowing the exact timeline will help alleviate some of the "waiting game" jitters!(This message has been edited by Dozy)

Yes, a pat on the back is in order. You can't know the excitement and pride of some parents and families. I've had parents who set the ECOH date and invited family from out of state before the scout even went to his BOR. To some families, the Eagle is no less of importance than a daughters wedding. Wearing the patch before National approval can be a risk, but you don't want to throw any water on that families flame.

As for early patches, traditionally the SM of our troop purchases and presents the Eagle patch to the scout as soon as National approves so that the scout can proudly show off his Eagle without waiting for the COH.

I love this scouting stuff.

Barry

Recently our turn around time from National on Eagle apps. has been consistently 7-10 days. Sometimes the delay is at the Council office. We had one a few years ago that seemed to take forever. I finally inquired at the Council office and was told that the woman that did the reviews on the apps had gone on vacation and quit when she came back, so everything was sitting in a pile on her desk with several others. The delay is usually not in Texas.