Resources for Eagle SM Conference

My Eagle candidate is now ready for his Eagle Scoutmaster Conference. This will be the first such conference for me as SM, and I'm looking for advice, suggestions, links, etc. to assist me in performing a thorough and fair conference.

Plus I just like to hear how others do it... its fun to share the knowledge!

Thanks!

Mark Ray's book "The Scoutmasters OTHER Handbook" is a good resource to start with. It gives you a lot of ideas for questions not only for an Eagle BOR, but for all ranks.

Other wise, I generally ask a lot of questions about their journey to Eagle...their overall scouting experience..how scouting has affected their lives, their plans for the future, etc. Then also lots of talk about their Eagle project and leadership.

Sue M.(This message has been edited by SueM)(This message has been edited by SueM)

I have always started by reviewing the scouts experiences, what he has learned, if there's anything he feels he could have done different. Then a discussion of what attaining the rank of Eagle means to him, and what his future goals are.

Finally, a hearty dose of congratulations for a job well done, and some reccomendations for the upcoming BOR.

• 1 month later...

I start by reviewing his uniform for completeness. It is going to have to be ready for the EBOR anyway, now is a good time to look it over.

I then review the Eagle application, his Eagle Book and other materials that must be submitted to council and then to the Eagle Board.

I cover some scout skills, NOT as a retest, but instead as a gauge of how we did in teaching them. Funny that the guys always bone up on their scout skills prior to the SM conference. :)

I ask about his experiences, good or bad, what he feels is the most important thing he learned or experienced in scouting, suggestions from the scout on how he would do things, and about future plans. If there is some pressing troop problem, I always ask his advice on how he would solve it. I have been told that the scouts feel very good about this with their opinion being asked on weighty matters. Sometimes the advice is pretty darn good, too!

Lastly, assuming the scout is ready to move on, I cover the process that will follow, including the submission of the Eagle Book, the EBOR and submission to National.

CA_Scouter. Congrats on your first Eagle SM Conference. I remember well my first (last October). I think I was more nervous than the candidate.

All the suggestions so far are wonderful and pretty much the way I handled it. We talked about his journey through the ranks. Trips he had been on. What he liked and disliked along the way. Recommendations for the Troop. Lastly, we talked about his BOR and what he could expect. In the end, we just seemed to be having a nice friendly chat about Scouting. I sure learned a lot from him and about him. A quiet fellow normally, never offering strong opinions or controversial. I didn't know he had such deep feelings about things until he opened up during our conference.

Now, after waiting months to work out the details with his family, he has finally scheduled his Court of Honor. Can't wait!

Good luck to you and your Eagle Scout.