"Progress Towards Rank" wallet cards

In another thread we are discussing what to do when a Scout looses his Scout book that contains all the signoffs of requirements towards his next rank.

Way back when I was a Scout, we had nifty wallet sized cards that tracked our progress towards each rank. In fact, I think that's what they were called - "Progress Towards Rank". We did not get our signoffs in the book. At the BoR, we presented our cards as documentation that we had completed all the requirements.

What ever happened to these handy little cards?

Why don't we use them any more?

Is there any reason not to use this technique?

Does any troop still do this?

I also remember these from the 60's/70's...I think they were called "Scoreboards". I still have mine in a drawer somewhere. It's all we used.

When I visited the coucil shop at National Capital Area Council in Bethesda, MD a few years ago, they were still had some on the shelves.

While they're not small cards..our trading post has recently gotten in something similar..it's a sturdier version of the requirement section from the handbook that the boys can easily carry with them. They're a whole lot easier to bring with them when it comes time for a SM conference and it saves the SM time in searching through the book for the requirement section too! :)

Sue M.

These cards are still available. We use them in our troop all the time. There is one for Tenderfoot thru First Class (BSA #33482B) and one for Star, Life, and Eagle (BSA #33430).

One suggestion - buy twice what you normally think you will need. They invariably get lost or taken thru a spin in the washing machine!