The Pleasure of an Eagle Scoutmaster Conference

I had the pleasure of doing an Eagle Scoutmaster Conference yesterday. I have known the young man since Cubs and he is less than 2 weeks from his 18th birthday. He was very inactive in the Troop for a couple of years, but came back a little more than a year ago with renewed spirit and enthusiasm. What a ride this year has been!

He goes for his Board of Review tonight and I'll be there to congratulate him when he is finished. I have no doubt he will make it.

The Scout mentioned earlier passed his Eagle Board of Review last night! I am very proud of him. Somewhere in one of my earlier posts I mention him and how he wore a complete uniform for the first time when we did his Life SM Conference. I posted jokingly that I wondered if he would have his pants hemmed by the time he went for his Eagle.

Yes, his pants were hemmed!

yeah...it feels so good when they make it!

We are a "young" troop. When our 6th Eagle had his CoH, the owner of the local paper started visiting with me. He commented on the leaders' time committments and how much they invest in these boys, then complimented us for doing this and getting nothing in return. I said, "Oh, but we DO get a lot out of it. Look around. See how proud he & his family is. Look at his future. Look at his character. See WHO he is. He will come home from college & seek us out. We have the memories. That is such a better reward than any amount of money you could give me." He looked in my eyes, he looked at the young man, and he couldn't think of a thing to say... Aaah. It do feel good.