Qualifying Age for Merit Badge Counseling

Who here can give me an authoritative citation, please?

The Troop within my Chartered Partner's cluster of units has a newly minted ASM. The young man recently had his 18th birthday, and is now a "transitional" Scouter (that's a term of my own, because 18-21 year olds have limits on the Scoutering assignments they can hold). We are working his adult leader training package (YP, Fast Start, NLE common core, SM specific).

So... is one of those assignments an 18 year old is eligible for, by age, that of a Merit Badge Counselor?

Merit Badge Counselors "must be men and women of good character, age 18 or older, and recognized as having the skills and education in the subjects for which they are to serve as merit badge counselors, as well as having the ability to work with Scout-age boys.... Older Venturers, age 18 or older, make excellent counselors" - Advancement Committee Policies & Procedures, page 13.

Yeh should still be thoughtful about an 18-year-old who is still in high school and has buddies who are 16 and 17. A new ASM/MBC needs some help switchin' into "adult mode", eh? Do him a favor and don't put him in a supervisory/counseling position over his peers. Have him work with da younger guys, who view him as an adult.