Discuss when you should and should not use lashings.

I must be missing the boat. Where in the book is this question answered. I believe that in a previous edition of the handbook there was a reference to this but not spelled out specifically in the current edition. Please enlighten me... First class requirement 7a.

In my copy of the handbook (11th ed., 5th printing) the answer is on the bottom of pg 137:

"Obtain permission before building camp gadgets or other structures -- they are prohibited in many backcountry areas as a way of encouraging no-trace camping.

Therefore, lashings should not be used in areas where they are not permitted (which probably qualifies this as a candidate for the "Vague but True" Hall of Fame).

Don't feel bad, this one drove me to distraction for a while too.

I checked my son's copy of the 10th edition, and it doesn't have a requirement to discuss when/when not to use lashings. The introductory text is virtually identical to the current edition -- along with the admonition about obtaining permission before building structures.

The only mention I see of safety is a small text box labelled "Triangle Principle In Lashings" which advises the user to incorporate triangles into their designs to ensure the lashing projects are "safe and steady".

The way I learned it about 5 years ago is that lashings are to be used when the structure being made is a tempoarary structure (such as a clothes rack for a campout or a gateway at summercamp). Lashings should not be used on a long lasting structure (such as a bridge) because the weather and other wear and tear on the rope could cause the lashing to break and cause the structure to collapse.

When should you?

- When the structure is temporary

- When you have the materials (rope, poles)

- When you want to use existing (natural) materials instead of cutting, nailing or otherwise constructing something.

- When you don't have other materials (nails, screws, tools, etc.)

- When you're working on Pioneering Merit Badge. :)

When should you not?

- Permanent structures

- When you can't build it to support the necessary weight (i.e. it's not safe)

- When you don't have the proper eqiupment (good rope, large enough poles, etc.)