Who decides which MBC is acceptable

Yes Ed but what happens when the card comes back with someone else signature. The boys know who some of the counselors are and do talk among themselves. My original question goes to quality control. The longer one stays in the program the more horror stories one hears or encounters. As a MBC for Personal Management I had a scout present a budget to me with all ZEROS. No income, No projected income, No spending, "My Mom won't let me handle money." I told him I could not counsel him at this time and offered to meet with his mother to explain the badge. He went to another counselor and received the badge. I talked to the DAC and was told that the counselor felt the requirements were followed and that all ZEROS accurately reflected the boys current "Personal Management parameters". As an SM Id have a hard time passing a card signed by that counselor for that merit badge along to my AC for recording.

LongHaul

Hmmm. We use blue cards for merit badges. When I was a SM, a Scout would complete his part of the blue card & bring it to me. We would peruse the MBC list & pick a counselor. I would then put the name address & phone # of the MBC on the blue card then date & sign the card. If the Scout went to a different counselor, he would need a new blue card. And if an completed blue card came back without my signature I would have to question the Scout as to what he learned & why he switched counselors. At that point, it would be up to me to accept or not accept the MB as complete. The only time I didn't put the name of a MBC on a blue card was when we went to summer camp.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Our district puts out an updated MBC list every month at Roundtable. Our Troop leaders then highlight all the MBC's that we know are good. We then photocopy the list for the particular MB the Scout wants to work on, then let him choose from that list. If he comes back with any signature not on the list (either highlighted or otherwise) then we call council to see if that person is an approved MB counselor. If not, we will not accept it, and the Scout must then do the work again with an approved counselor that we mandate. We also get MB lists from the other districts that have them and that are close, and use those counselors too.