Conflict between Scoutmaster and Committee member

The merit badge was done in two, one hour sessions in a classroom, and one 4 hour "cook off" where there were a bunch of dished cooked by different scouts. The food was purchased by the MBC and given to the boys and they had to come up with what to cook.

The SM and I came up with an idea - what do you think about this?

The MBC says she's going to sign off on the cards and if the SM doesn't sign off then it's on him. What if give the Scouts the list of requirements (the MBC didn't) and go through them with the boys. We say "This is up to you - Scouts Honor - if you feel like you finished the badge, it's your's to take at the COH. If you'd like to work some more on the badge you can wait to receive it until YOU feel like you've earned it."

I know it's not truly up to protocal, but it gets all of us adults out of it, it gives them the chance to make a decision on what they feel is the right thing to do and it totally defuses the conflict between the SM and MBC. Best of all, it gives us a chance to really reinforce to everyone how a Scout is supposed to earn a merit badge.

No, now your're putting the onus on the Scout, and some will feel they've passed muster, and others may not. This was a group class.

Take the whole package to your District Advancement Chair. Have him "walk the dog" of the requirements. If he says yes, all get the MB. If he says the boys were shorted, then there is work to be done.

As I look at the requirements for Cooking, I see each Scout having to prepare SIX MEALS FOR THREE PEOPLE, for himself and two others, plus a Breakfast, a Lunch, and a Dinner for his family. That's nine meals. If I were the District Advancement Chairman, I'd be very curious in how all those meals were done in one four hour cooking session.

I'm sounding like the local sportstalk radio station now: "Take this entire situation to the District Advancement Chairman and let him make the call. Take this entire situation to the District Advancement Chairman and let him make the call. Take this entire situation to the District Advancement Chairman and let him make the call."

One more time: Take this entire situation to the District Advancement Chairman and let him make the call.

The merit badge was done in two, one hour sessions in a classroom, and one 4 hour "cook off" where there were a bunch of dished cooked by different scouts. The food was purchased by the MBC and given to the boys and they had to come up with what to cook.

What else did the adults do that the Scout should have done? Who made the decisions on the menus?

Requirements 4, 6 & 7 were not completed according to the requirements. This is subtracting from the requirements and is not allowed. It makes no difference whose idea this was. It is wrong. This is not how Scouting should be and nowhere near what is taught at Woodbadge! The Scouts who participated in the sessions didn't complete all the requirements for the cooking MB.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Careful Ed! This is a very good thread right now on the subject of the original post, please don't bring what is and isn't taught at "Woodbadge for the 21st. Century" (the one word title just doesn't cut it anymore) because at the last course at a council near me this wasn't even mentioned.

I think if I were the SM here I would accept the signed cards from the MBC, even though I really, really, did not like it. (and in the future I would want to work with any new MBC who planned to do a group session for my troop like what was described here, to make sure they understand and apply the requirements before they teach the session).

ANd then... over the course of the next several campouts, I would encourage the PLC to include opportunties for boys to do the remaining requirements that were shorted. Those boys who "earned" the mb might even be asked to help teach the other boys who hadn't yet earned it (with help, as needed). Nothing like leading/teaching to make sure someone actually knows something!

And also I'd encourage the MBC in question here to keep working with ALL the boys on their cooking skills, though not neccessarily as an MB session - just as a regular part of troop camping. She is obviously good at it and enjoys it so use her skill and her willingness to work with the boys!

Something like this solution would avoid punishing the boys for adult mistakes while still ensuring that the basic requirements are met (even if after the fact - not the best, but at least a viable solution). And hopefully in the future similar problems can be avoided.

Lisa'bob

Longhaul,

I wasn't trying to get into a Woodbadge debate. Just stating nothing like this was taught at the "old" Woodbadge & your statement reinforces it isn't taught at the 21st Century Woodbadge. I only included it since this SM has attended Woodbadge & knows how Scouting should be and wants us to do it right.

A SM has no choice but to accept the signed MB cards. What I would do is report this to the DAC & never ever send another Scout to this MB counselor again. These Scouts didn't earn the Cooking MB. And that is the fault of the counselor.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

I agree a BOR is not for retesting. And just because a Scout shows up for his BOR he shouldn't automatically pass. If a Scout doesn't know when he learned a required skill and has no idea how to do it, he hasn't met the requirements for rank even if the requirement has been signed off.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

Ed,

I appologize. There should have been smiley faces ALL over my post on 3/19. I thought I had finally figured out how to insert them and was trying to be funny with the Woodbadge thing. I should have checked the post and edited or deleated it but I didn't.

LongHaul(insert egg on face)