Eagle Project Question

Some of you folks who read the Scouting History section know that I have done a lot of research on James Austin Wilder, who was the father of American Sea Scouting. He was born and died in Honolulu and is buried in the Oahu Cemetary in Nuuanu.

Wilder's grave is not far off the central road thru the cemetary. A landmark to find it is the commemorative marker pointing to the grave of the founder of modern baseball. Wilder has a small metal marker from the BSA indicating he was the Chief Sea Scout. No indicator from the main road to the grave.

I would love to see a marker there so that passers by could visit the grave if they wish to see it.

Generally, Eagle projects should benefit the community in general and not Scouting in particular. An Eagle project to fund, obtain permission and get constructed a marker for this man would benefit the community, IMHO, more than Scouting per se.

How does this strike you as a potential project? I am thinking of taking it to a wise old SM who could then lead an Eagle candidate into taking this on as a project.

I'd like hear thoughts on it. If you want to see the gravesite, visit

http://findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=+wilder&GSfn=james&GSmn=austin&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSob=n&GRid=11268877&

IMO, the marker is of historical significance, beneficial to the community at large. The fact that the deceased was a legendary Scouter does not make 'Scouting' the beneficiary, although 'Scouting' may receive some collateral promotional benefit. I would suggest you speak with your Council/District Advancement Committee before hawking as a potential Eagle Project. No sense in setting someone up for a problem down the road. Obviously, issues of the degree of leadership demonstrated need to be considered as well.

Kahuna, are there other graves/places of significant interest in this cemetery? You've mentioned two. Or could this be made a generalized project to standarize and improve the ability of people to find their way within the cemetery? With this approach, it's obviously not maintenance nor is it specifically BSA. Some combo of the above?

Vicki

There are others of local importance, but no other national figures that I'm aware of. The only one marked outside it's own plot is the baseball guy.

I would think a project to mark gravesites all over the cemetary would be too many signs. All of Honolulu's founding fathers of white ancestry are buried there. Hawaiian royalty has its own mausoleum and Asian people tend to be buried together.

It's interesting, though, that cemetaries are not generally referenced in guidebooks or tours, unless you go in for a special type of tour.

I like it. I'd vote to approve it. Historical markers are frequently put up by the government to recognize all types of things, and this seems very much in line. Does the cemetary want it? If so, it would benefit the cemetary primarily (which I'm sure is not owned by the Scouts), and also the community in general.

Oak Tree