Just received the Eagle Scout awards for our Troop's newest Eagle and I noticed that the pins are different than those my son earned in 2001.

The mother's pin is round instead of Eagle shaped.

Also, there is a gold mentor pin included now. Am assuming the Eagle Scout awards the mentor pin to whomever he likes. Is that right? Is that done during an Eagle Ceremony?

The Eagle Scout chooses who he awards the mentor pin to. In the Eagle ceremonies I witnessed the awarding of this was done after the Eagle has been given his awards and after the parents received their pins. It was not set up in advance in these particular ceremonies -- the mentor was surprised which made it a little more special. I received an Eagle mentor pin and it means a lot to me.

Yes, that is the way we do them too. The boy is awarded first, then he presents his mother/father/grandparent pins (if he gets those) and then he generally surprises a mentor if he chooses to award that pin. Not all boys do choose to do that but if he does..he should feel free to choose anyone he wants to..it doesn't need to be someone who helped him through scouting. From my experience, most boys see, give it to someone who they look up to for ANY reason.

Sue M.

• 1 year later...

You mentioned that the mother's pin is now round rather than Eagle shaped. I'm an Eagle and my son recently received his Eagle. I was somewhat disappointed to see this round pin rather than the sterling silver Eagle that my mother has and that we've used for generations. Apparently, this change is in gentle response to political correctness. Dad's pin and Mom's pin now look the same. There's no 'distinction'. HOWEVER, there has been a fairly large outcry from this change and the silver Eagle pin can now once again available at the scout shop. My troop now buys these and substitutes the round one with the silver (though it's now not sterling) pin. My wife got the round pin and my son presented her with her silver pin last night.

With malice aforethought I upgraded my son from the standard Eagle presentation kit to the Sterling silver kit. That included the Eagle Mom and Dads oval pins. That was last September

I just went to Scoutstuff, both Mom and Dad ovals are available in ordainary and Sterling as separate items.

Son asked for 2 extra Mentor pins (he had lots of help). He got them :), and used them :)

I'm 99.9% sure that my son got the down-graded (?) version of the presentation kit. I'll need to check, but am pretty sure. I'd replace it in a heart beat as I'm a raving traditionalist, but there's something to be said for the one that was presented. It's not sterling, but it IS the one. I wish I'd known that there were two versions before hand John. I'd have done exactly the same as you did. So it goes. I can't believe the troop doesn't spring for the up grade. Considering the occasion, who wouldn't??

Could be that the troop doesn't know there are different versions of the kit available. I certainly didn't until reading it here. I much prefer my sterling Eagle medal from 1970 to the present version, which looks cheap and more "stylized".