"what would you change" BoR update

Well my guy had his first BoR the other day and made his tenderfoot rank. As some of you may know from my previous posts it hasn't been a very smooth first year. There have been some pretty big debates in the troop regarding how the first year program works (or whether there is one) and what kind of experience the younger scouts are having. We've given serious consideration to switching troops but decided to stick things out a bit longer. It has been a difficult path for my son but at the moment I think he is glad he made that choice, and I'm proud of him (well yeah, I'm his mom...).

Word is, he gave the board quite an earful when they asked him what he would like to see changed. I had to laugh because I have studiously avoided discussing the debates among adult leaders with my son or within ear shot. However, he apparently nailed exactly those concerns on his own, with specific examples of what he would change, how, and why. Guess this falls into the "be careful what you ask for" category. Happily, he also apparently told them he no longer wants to quit and is excited about working on his next rank. Hurrah!

Lisa'bob

Congratulations to your son!!

Once again, an old adage comes true: If you don't think children know what is going on, think again. They do connect the dots.

The measure of your Troop Committee is how well they use their listening skills and take precise, targeted feedback (it's a gift!) to heart.