What's your CoH like?

I've been to three so far and - sorry - they're BORING. Having recently crossed over from the Cub program, I can't help making comparisons to pack meetings and I can't imagine holding a pack meeting that was all talk and no action. Is there room in a CoH for skits, songs, etc..? Or is this just the "cub parent" in me?

Lisa'bob

A good old bobwhite too!

I smiled when I read your post because I also have a son in scouts and one still in cubs and I feel the same way about my oldest's Courts of Honor. I know it should be a "special occasion", but a little fun mixed in would be better. Why should cub scouts have all the fun?

Scouter4321

Like a lot of things in our great organization, some COH are really good, some are OK, and some are just ugly.

Of course they are never going to be like Pack meetings. A good Pack meeting highlights what each Den has been working on over the past month and the Pack has a central theme running for the month.

While a lot of Boy Scouts I know really get into Camp fires and skits and songs, asking them to perform in front of the Troop and parents, just wouldn't fly. Most Lads I know would sooner go to the Dentist.

The best COH are well planned and have Scouts doing all the important stuff. Scouts never seem to want to talk as long or as much as the adults do!!

I have been very fortunate to see some very impressive COH with really good openings and closings, some have had music that the Scouts have downloaded or brought in on tape or CD. One ended with two Scouts who play in their school band playing Taps (One was the echo)

Some Troops do a wonderful job with lighting and do a good job with Scout Law and Scout Oath ceremonies.

Some Troops have videos of what they have been up to or show a power point presentation using photos that they have taken.

Of course all the best COH know that I love white chocolate chip macadamia nut cookies and serve them at the end.

Eamonn.

Our troop usually has 4 COH's per year. At all of them we present awards and highlight upcoming activities. In September we show video presentations of our trips to Summer Camp and our High Adventure activity. At our Annual Dinner we have had everything from magicians, Indian Dance teams, the local high school jazz ensemble, a IM Canal historian, something different every year. In spring we have a Family Fitness Night in which we have free throw contests for moms, dads, and Scouts, a Scout vs. parents volleyball match, have games for the siblings, etc. We end with a picnic and softball game in June. Everyone seems to have a good time.

Some of our younger guys have expressed interest in doing skits, but the older guys have nixed it. Personally, I'd rather see skits and songs around the campfire.

Our COHs are far from perfect. I'm still trying to get the guys to raise the bar on their openings and closings. They are kind of weak.

There's lots of things you can do to make it more interesting. You've already heard some ideas here. The main goal is to get the boys to do what they want to do (under the SM's guidance, of course). Here are a few things we've done over the past few years -

- Held an outdoor COH with a campfire. This was done on our CO's property.

- Had the scouts come early and prepare a meal, camp style, for the parents.

- Shown videos from High Adventure trips.

- Shown picture shows from outings.

We usually use powerpoint whenever possible to add some visual flare (pictures, video, etc.). I also try to mix up the agenda, so it's not always the same from one time to the next.

Lisabob,

first we are talking Boy Scouts here right?

not to rain down on you but...

Sorry, the CoH is not a pack meeting, it isn't even a "real" troop meeting...it is an award ceremony! Hopefully put together by the boys to "honor their own"; the boys and the hard work they have done...As said by others... some CoHs are better than others...(but I wonder at your sons Eagle CoH or college graduation ...do you want someone singing the "muffin man" song?) Most of the older scouts are just finding their way in planning "serious" awards ceremoies and if they plan and execute the CoH... most of them are hating being up in front doing that "public speaking stuff"...most of the levity in our CoHs come from the adults adding a little 'spice' when the time seems right...

Through the POC, you might make suggestions,but I wonder if the first "skit" offered up will result in the older guys running for the doors? More pagentry would be a nice touch if it is lacking,but these boys in most cases are trying to "grow-up" a bit not return to Cubbie land.

my two cents

Anarchist(This message has been edited by anarchist)

Thanks everyone for your input. From the sound of it, the style of CoH's vary quite a bit from one troop to another. I especially appreciate the input regarding the kind of reception skits might receive from some of the boys. My kid is a total ham so that hadn't occurred to me.

Anarchist, yes, I am talking about boy scouts, not cubs, and I do understand the desire to have a dignified award ceremony. However, what I've noticed at all 3 of these that I have been to so far is that the BOYS (and especially the younger boys, but not only them) seem bored too. They sit in chairs facing the stage and listen as one adult after another and an occasional PL or the SPL talks. By the end of the night they're squirming all over the place and they're not listening very well. I hardly think this is what most people would desire either.

Thanks again, everyone, for your feedback.

Lisa'bob

A good old bobwhite too!

Lisabob,

last post you mentioned "end of the night"...just how long are these 'suckers' you call boring? We just had a CoH (MOnday night)... only one adult on stage...(SM)...

MC was a "scared" young Scout working on the communications merit badge (DID A GREAT JOB), the SPL and SM gave out the awards...SM called the names, SPL gave the packages and then both shook scouts hand. We handed out 12-15 rank advancements (one at a time-for family pictures)and 161 merit badges (many from summer camp), again one scout at a time. Had an opening, closing, Scout Masters minute andour CC gave a set of special "thank you's" (awards)for outgoing SM, CC and Troop Secretary as well as a 'roll call-thank you" for the parents who supported our activities this quarter...started at 7 finished at 8:20 PM !

boys are up and down, up and down so they have little time to get bored...if yours are longer than an hour or so something needs to be improved...unless you have a HUGH troop.

One adult after another??? This (CoH) should be about and (as far as I am concerned) by the boys...not another place for adults to BS...they can do that at the coffee pot.

But Heck, ask to sit in at a PLC and ask in advance for a few minutes to let them know what you are seeing...and do the same at a committee meeting or two...

Anarchist

"They sit in chairs facing the stage and listen as one adult after another and an occasional PL or the SPL talks. "

That says a world there. A COH should be dominated by boys. They may still be "boring", but kids will tend to enjoy it more if they are listenting to other kids. It sometimes is not as dignified (after all, they are kids). But it can still have a certain amount of formality to it.

Consider the format of our COH this weekend:

- Opening, by the first year patrol

- Welcome, by the SPL

- Welcome and introduction of new scouts & guests, by the SM

- Activity report, by two scouts

- Merit Badges, by an ASM

- two more Activity reports, by scouts

- Introduction of troop leaders, by SM & PLC

- a couple more activity reports, by scouts

- Rank advancement, by the SM

- another activity report, by a scout

- a video from our high adventure trip (whitewater trip)

- Scoutmasters minute, by the SM

- Thank you, by the SPL

- Closing, by another patrol

The SPL was the Master of Cermonies throughout the night. As you can see, it was dominated by boys. It was reasonably formal (not as much as an Eagle COH, but good enough). And the boys had a great time. It lasted about 1:20, because of the video.

• 1 month later...

I have seen some really great COH's and some not so great ones.

Our Troop does about 4 a year.

We have done the COH in our meeting hall and at campfires during Campouts. The Campout COH's are by far the better ones, but not alot of parents come, even when we do it locally. So, we have to try to accomodate those parents that are not to fond of the woods.

For the Campfire COH's we have the fire, Tiki torches that outline a "Stage", Opening Ceremony, We do sing some songs, and do the awards. The best is ending it with a Scoutmaster's minute and vespers... really adds a special touch.

For the indoors COH's we try to have a nice presentation. At one, we did a year in review power point presentation, set to music, it was cool.

One very important thing that has been mention already...

THE BOYS RUN THE SHOW...

The SPL needs to be the MC.. let the PLS halp with awards.

In our Troop the SPL does it all... he even gives Advancement, gives the Scouts the moms pins and all...

Jerry

Ours are quarterly. They begin with a potluck dinner (in fact, I think it's a state law in Hawaii that any gathering of five or more people has to have food served). The Scouts go through the serving line by patrol, with their families, in an order determined by the SPL based on their appearance (the Scouts, not their families). While everyone's eating, we show a DVD with pictures and videos from the last quarter, set to music.

Because we have a large Troop, we usually get right to business after everyone eats. The committee chair usually presides, unless a Scout working on Communications MB emcees the proceedings. The CC is assisted by the SPL and the Advancement Chair. Frequently, our COR is there, too.

We usually do MBs first, then advancements. For the MBs, our CC will ask the lads for an example of what they had to do to earn the badge. The answers are entertainment enough! As a rule, our Troop doesn't use elaborate props, candles, etc. Too many possibilities for prop failure that take the attention away from the boys.

After all the advancements are presented, there's a round of thanks, and usually a minute or two of announcements.

That whole thing takes two hours easy..again, large Troop. That works okay for us; we haven't had any complaints.

You might try to find out more about how other Troops conduct their COHs by talking with other leaders at your next Roundtable...

KS

KoreaScouter: "They begin with a potluck dinner (in fact, I think it's a state law in Hawaii that any gathering of five or more people has to have food served)."

Hmmmm, who knew that the state religion of Hawaii was Southern Baptist? Go figure! ;)

I have to agree with KS: Some of the very best COHs are the ones with a potluck and family participation!

LisaBob:

Anarchist, yes, I am talking about boy scouts, not cubs, and I do understand the desire to have a dignified award ceremony. However, what I've noticed at all 3 of these that I have been to so far is that the BOYS (and especially the younger boys, but not only them) seem bored too. They sit in chairs facing the stage and listen as one adult after another and an occasional PL or the SPL talks. By the end of the night they're squirming all over the place and they're not listening very well. I hardly think this is what most people would desire either.

What I see here is the antithesis of BOY RUN. If the adults are manhandling the COH, maybe the trick is to find a way to get SPL to say at PLC: Mr SM, can we do the next COH?

It may take until it's your sons turn to be SPL, though...