I am brand new to acting as a MB councilor and happen to do wookworking as a hobby. I was about to start working with a few boys on the MB and was wondereing if any experienced councilors had any words of wisdom. Specifically, are there any projects that have worked out well in the past? I suspect the scouts will need a few ideas to get them started. Any help is appreciated.

Welcome jdavey,

I will confess this is weak response. I can't help you with ideas for woodworking. Anything I ever did woodworking wise always looked like my junior high school woodshop project.

MB couselor wise I can give you a couple of tips. First, if you are working with a group, keep in mind the MB requirements are for individuals so don't give group credit for things like..."discuss with your counselor..." or "demonstrate". These are things each scout should do to earn the MB. Second is, as a counselor you can decide what is acceptable in terms of meeting the requirements for the badge or not, but you do not have the authority to add, substitute or subtract from the requirements.

Good luck, and I'm sure your participation as a MB counselor is appreciated by the scouts.

SA

One thing that I just did with my boys a couple of months ago was a butterfly house. I was just looking for some kind of project for them to do and I had the plans. Granted..they're not known to be terribly useful but they can be decorated and maybe used in a project somewhere else as a decoration. They were very simple and required only 2 boards, and a couple of hinges and some nails and screws.

sue m.