Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'carbon monoxide'.
Found 1 result
Jason DiRenza, a 10 year old Scout, has loved to tinker with tools and toys, a hobby that propelled him to the national stage with an invention designed to give people more time to escape houses that are filling with deadly carbon monoxide gas. The Connecticut Safety Society honored him for the inclusion of safety, health, and environmental principles and ideologies into his invention, and he also received an award from the judges for the top invention in his judging circle Jason said he got the idea for his invention over lunch one day with his family when a discussion came up about how, in a mishap that happened years ago, their home had filled with carbon monoxide and the fire department had to come and turn on a large fan to air it out. Jason got to thinking, "why doesn't the house just already activate a fan instead?" Thus began his work to create a model home, in which he installed a smoke detector — he used that instead of a more expensive carbon monoxide detector to cut costs — a fan, batteries, and a series of wires connecting them all. When the detector goes off, a pulse is sent to the fan, turning it on and blowing carbon monoxide out of the house, allowing those inside more time to escape. His invention is able to funnel the carbon monoxide out of the home because it's installed near an air duct. More at source with photo: Online: https://bit.ly/2k7IJZN