Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Posts posted by InquisitiveScouter

  1. 2 minutes ago, walk in the woods said:

    if two units decided to camp together why would these standards apply?  Not sure I'm following your logic.

    ♦ Q: If my camp is cancelled, can my unit get together with other units and have our own camp?

    No. Chartering organizations play an important role in the program and activities for their chartered units. Chartering organizations promote well-planned unit program for the units they charter and encourage their units to have active outdoor unit programs. Chartering organizations are not authorized to plan, promote, or deliver programs for units outside of their charter.

    It is the role of the council to plan long-term or resident camps and the role of councils or districts to plan camporees and other outings during the year that give youth an opportunity to test their knowledge and skills in competitive events with other troops and/or patrols.

    When units with different chartered organizations do activities together, this becomes a district or council event and requires council approval. In fact, some states require such activities to be licensed.

    Should your troop, crew or ship decide to do a long-term camping program for their own unit (Cub Scouts units are prohibited from this activity) please note that the Scouter Code of Conduct and relevant program safety and training requirements are still in place, e.g., Safe Swim Defense, Hazardous Weather, Wilderness First Aid, etc.


    As this is not printed anywhere I can find other than in FAQ (can anyone please help?) I'd say get forgiveness vs. permission...

    I think they may have written this with full knowledge they'd be implementing their NCAP policy...

    Another aside...if both CO's agree, and provide leadership for their own units, I say "Giddyup!"

    • Thanks 1
  2. 6 minutes ago, CynicalScouter said:

    disbanding Scouting

    Although, they will only be disbanding the corporation known as the Boy Scouts of America.  Scouting is a movement that must be intellectually separated from the BSA.  Scouting will go on, and I intend to be one who keeps it going, with or without the BSA.  Hence my moniker...

  3. 1 minute ago, TAHAWK said:

    Meaning they are a program of the CO, not an entity at all, contrary to what the motion asserts.  Not a possible debtor/defendant.  Not a legal "person."

    Ahhh...re-read, please...a) BSA national, b) local council, c) chartering org...

    Units are not mentioned, as they are not legal entities...

    • Upvote 1
  4. 1 minute ago, TAHAWK said:

    None was a legal entity under state or federal law at the time. 

    Units are never legal entities...that is the purpose of the chartering organization.  But I know you knew that!

    You could incorporate a unit, but it would not really be part of the BSA.  The legal entity you created could charter a BSA unit that would have the exact same membership as the incorporated entity.  But, the entity must have principal officers and a board which can, potentially, be held liable for actions of the corporation.

  5. 9 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

    In addition, the Rosters will help the TCC determine which sponsoring or chartered organizations may be implicated in abuse claims and whether such organizations have insurance policies available to satisfy the abuse claims.

    23. Abuse survivors may have a legal claim against at least three different entities recognized in the BSA Charter and By-laws and its Rules and Regulations: (a) the BSA; (b) a “local council” that managed all Boy Scouting units (e.g., a Boy Scout Troop or a Cub Scout Pack) in a defined geographic area; and (c) a “chartering organization”, such as a school or church, that operated a particular Boy Scout unit in conjunction with the Local Council and BSA.


  6. 13 minutes ago, RichardB said:

    Or a more positive way of looking at this would be these venues offer an opportunity of proof of concepts at scale.  

    Agreed...and they have already done it.  But download the form, then get it filled out/signed, then uploaded again is horrible.  

    Even the government has figured this one out...the FAA has an online "secure" medical clearance website called MedXpress. 



    Aviators and air traffic controllers (in the works) create an account, and put in all their medical info before their provider visit.  At the visit, the provider logs in to complete some additional data and "clear" the pilot to fly.  Bada bing, bada boom...you have an FAA Medical Certificate and are flying in/managing our national airspace.

    With standardized data, you can easily pull an "caution" report for your outing.  Print out forms if you are going someplace with no access...

    The hurdle here is cost (of course) and to get parents on board for A&B, and providers on board for Part C, with accounts to log in and provide data and clearance.  But, with  (from 2019 Annual Report) 2.1M youth and 800K adult volunteers, plus outing visitors (yes, all participants must have the form) that could possibly be the largest medical database in existence.

    Possible, but highly improbable this would ever come to be...


  7. 23 minutes ago, ParkMan said:

    In my experience this is true of lots of things - not just Scouting.  There are people on my team at work who have a significantly larger impact that most others.  I think this is just part of life - we'll always have superstars and role players.

    Ever hear of Price's Law??


    50% of the work is done by the square root of the total number of people who participate in the work.

    • Like 1
  8. Wow!

    No wonder there is a high turn over rate...I wouldn't do any of that...nor ask the DE to do it.

    Our previous DE, when he first came in, pulled me aside and asked what is the one thing our district needed to focus on.  I told him we need Commissioners.

    I think we have two...and I don't even know who ours currently is...

    And we currently have no DE.


    1 minute ago, ParkMan said:

    The price is that you just don't get to "do" anything.

    I twist our CC's arm to come camping with us...a lot!!

  9. Just now, ParkMan said:

    As Committee Chair, my job was to constantly develop talented volunteers. 


    1 minute ago, ParkMan said:

    recognize that they are building an organization

    Will you move here and be our CC, please??  (with no pay ;) )

    1 minute ago, ParkMan said:

    simply paying someone to do it won't make the team stronger - it just gets you someone who can do a bunch of stuff for you.


  10. Another pro tip...

    Carry a few copies of the BSA Health and Supplemental Insurance Form (or other form if you have a different insurance) in your medical binder.  If you give those to the provider and explain it is supplemental, you can save parents aome headaches and bucks down the road.

    Our supplemental insurance through our council covers any co-pays...

    https://www.hsri.com/forms/claim forms-approved/Boy Scouts of America/Boy Scouts of America - Council & Unit.pdf

    You will still need to fill out and get a form signed at your council office when you return home, though, in order for the claim to be processed.

    Uber-pro tip...

    If you have any Scouts or Scouters who are covered by TRICARE (health insurance for military members, retirees, and their dependents), then BSA Health and Supplemental, by federal law, becomes primary, and provides full coverage.  No claims should be filed with TRICARE.  Again, if this applies, it could save some headaches.  Providers will need the same form as above, or your whoever your insurer is...

    • Thanks 2
    • Upvote 1
  11. 2 minutes ago, Chisos said:

    We used to pull out only the needed forms for an event, but that just created more confusion, especially if someone decided to attend last-minute (or not).  I keep them alphabetized by name so any given form is easy to find if needed.

    Agreed, but we often do Patrol camping where each Patrol selects their own destination...so two or three books going out is not unusual for us.  It keeps the Medical Forms Grand Poobah on her toes ;)

  12. 2 minutes ago, MattR said:

    HIPPA requirement

    HIPAA only applies to providers/insurers/etc...


    The BSA no-scan guideline exists to protect you from identity theft and fraud, as well as safeguarding personal and private health information that you don't want plastered all over the internet...

    • Upvote 1
  13. 3 minutes ago, CynicalScouter said:

    Millennials are likely to donate/volunteer for one cause this year, another next year, and another the year after that. It is impossible to development a membership based on annual turnover like that.

    Also impossible to develop a solid set of outdoor/Scouting skills...  the decline and fall of the Scouting Empire

  14. We instruct parents to make and keep a copy (e-copy is their choice), keep their original, and provide the Troop with one paper copy.  A registered Committee Member, the "Medical Forms Grand Poobah" (or MFGP) holds and manages our forms, including inputting dates into Scoutbook, and sending out reminder notices when forms are expiring.  (It is almost a full time job for our unit.)

    Prior to every outing, the unit leader designated for that outing procures the binder for all attendees (only), and reviews that binder prior to the outing (sometimes this happens at the very last minute.)

    If anyone's form is missing or outdated, the designated leader takes steps to resolve with the parents or adult attendee.

    Personally, I make every Scout/Scouter with an epi-pen or rescue inhaler show those to me upon arrival at any outing.  No meds is a no go...  He must also show everyone in his patrol where he keeps those items in his pack/gear.  (One of them may be the Scout who saves his life.)

    Before I give any OTC meds to a Scout, I review the form and, if possible, call the parent.  This has proven wise on several occasions as we have Scouts who are allergic to ibuprofen, pepto-bismol, benadryl, aspirin, certain topical antibiotics, etc.

    You have to set your own policies on prescription meds, and whether unit leaders will keep or administer those...to each his own...

    Highly recommend you set a deadline of one week before Scout camp as the due date for medical forms.  Even so, you will always have "the usual suspect" parents scrambling at the last minute to get Johnny's physical done.

    When I came to this unit, they kept e-copies on a thumb drive to give to the unit leader.  Of course, the unit leader could rarely access them if needed.  Not really that smart... And as @T2Eagle notes, no medical pro has ever asked for a form...

    Finally, pro tip...if you ever even remotely plan to do a SCUBA event during the year (many SCUBA shops offer an orientation program that meets SCUBA BSA and Snorkeling BSA requirements), instruct parents to print out and take the SCUBA form with them during their provider visit.  It will save you beaucoup headaches down the road...  Keep them with the medical forms.



  • Create New...