Scouting the Web

Sign in to follow this  

Share tips and info for Scouting webmasters and discuss Scouting resources on the web

Subforums

1. Hosting at SCOUTER.com

Member to Member Tech Support for unit websites hosted by www.SCOUTER.com/hosting

194 topics in this forum

• 4 replies
    • 11 replies
    • 1 reply
  1. council directory?

• 10 replies
    • 17 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 13 replies
  2. Website

• 11 replies
  3. Cub Scout font?

• 3 replies
  4. TroopMaster Web

• 12 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 37 replies
    • 0 replies
  5. Building a Forum

• 5 replies
    • 0 replies
Sign in to follow this  
  • LATEST POSTS

• If it is done correctly, I don't see it as an issue. Many regalia pieces are based on historic pieces and are meticulously researched. Some are even more "authentic" and historically correct (in not only appearance but construction) than what many actual tribal members will wear to a typical Pow Wow. If done correctly and respectfully, complaints are pretty rare around my neck of the woods. That entails actually learning the culture and learning what is appropriate and what is not.   That said, you do see the "Chief Wannabe" types as well, which unfortunately give the Order a bad name.  
    • Sounds like our unit is like @ItsBrian: Mess kits (no paper or plastic) Nagelenes (not styrofoam or disposable cups) KP water is Steramine (not bleach) Use drying cloths (not paper towels) Food for camp outs is fully eaten (we have awards for the patrols that have the fewest leftovers) Fire are only used for cooking or warmth. Hold LNT classes several times a year (both ethics awareness and ethic action award classes). Fuel conservation methods are also taught. 
    • The frisbee works, just gotta make sure you wipe off the dog spittle  
    •   Exactly. FOS would be non-existent. I'd encourage everyone to take that money and donate it to the troop or our CO instead. $120 to process the Eagle application is ridiculous. Our unit has a series of checks with the applicant to confirm all the data on their application and associated paperwork is 100% correct. It takes council less than 5 mins to check this. If they are going to charge money, charge based on incompleteness or readability of the application.
    • Really? I think it's pretty clear when we are lampooning something and when we are not. Black face? Clearly lampooning. OA regalia? Given that native nations are not in agreement that this is bad or good, I think you have your answer. Is Halloween, or any costume party for that matter, could fall under "lampooning". Are we to end that tradition too? Santa Claus (the fat American one) is essentially a lampoon of the European-based St. Niklaus. Stop that too shall we?  Sometimes we, as humans, are just too sensitive. 
  • Who's Online (See full list)