Camping & High Adventure

Share a camping tip.

Subforums

1. Equipment Reviews & Discussions

Discussions dealing with equipment topics (tents, lights, packs, boots, stoves, etc.)

Tales of Scout cooks, prized techniques and yummy recipes for gathering around the fire.

1850 topics in this forum

• 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
  • LATEST POSTS

• You are correct that money cannot cure everything.  However restitution for pain, mental suffering, loss of possible wages (personally I think I underachieved in this life because of the abuse), my daughters suffering from my emotional unavailability (if there is enough restitution at some point she will benefit) and the fact I realize now I might need mental care the rest of my lifetime so restitution/money won't cure me but it will make my life easier.   Are you so naive to think that the BSA ever cared for those of us who were abused?  Did they ever reach out and say hey we have issues within BSA and your troop and we suspect you may have been a victim and want to help you?  Hell no they didn't.  Only with legal pressure (from the so called "vultures") did they do anything positive.   I read your profile and see you were an ASM in 1966 and 1967 (67 was the year I was raped by 2 adult volunteers) and you have been active in BSA for most of your life.  Did you ever hear of anything going on and if you did were you alerting scouts to this issue? When all of this started to come to light many years ago did you go to the higher ups and say hey we need to do something here.   This wasn't instigated by a group of "greedy vultures" this was started because to many leaders in troops, and councils, and in the national turned there backs and did not do what was correct.  This in military terms is called a failure to lead. If it wasn't for lawyers the perversion files would not have seen the light of day.  If it wasn't for the legal system the BSA would still be hiding everything.  If BSA had not hid and covered up what was happening they might not have the wealth they have today since the big reason it was hidden because they did not want their fund raising, donations, and scout levels to drop. The TCC has publicly stated that they do not want to destroy the BSA.  Yes the "vulture lawyers" will make their money but without the lawyers victims would see nothing.  And as for your "Good luck" you can keep it...I just want full restitution for all that I deserve.
    • Would that mean that the amount a claimant receives is a function of the wealth/contribution of his LC?  So maybe a Greater Hudson claimant receives $69,000 while someone with the same injury receives much more or much less depending on the wealth of the LC?  I would have expected a more equalizing distribution.
    • The way I read the plan, no, it will NOT go to all 84,000. It will go to those with a claim against that particular council, thus 311 (or so) in Greater Hudson Valley will split that $19 million, minus the things you mentioned. This is not a situation where a Council in Texas is going to sell its camp to pay for claims against a North Carolina Council, for example. The LC is responsible for paying ONLY for claims in its territory OR its predecessor councils (where mergers occurred).
    • And here we go again with the lawyers = vultures. I was under the impression the mods had said enough of this. In fact, I know for a fact they said this. People who are injured under the American (and indeed English common law from whence our jurisprudence came) system of civil justice have a right to seek tort damages compensated through the judicial process. They also have the right to seek out legal counsel to that end. That does NOT make these people vultures.
    • Yes, especially when it is instigated by a group of greedy vultures that could care less about the actual victims, as long as they get their cuts.  Sorry, but I am simply tired of the BS of somehow thinking money can cure everything.  As I have noted before, our entire legal system in this country is a convoluted cesspool of greed and mostly uncaring legal predators.  Just my opinion, and I understand you suffered considerable based on what you have shred.  Not to be crude, but if someone said here is a billion dollars, now leave it alone, would that somehow cure you?  I doubt it, but you, and others with similar stories would have simply had a hand in causing harm to others through the unfeeling system of vengeance.  Again, just my perspective, and it applies not just to this unfortunate case.  Vengeance at the expense of others who had no hand in the original crime is wrong, almost as wrong as the original crimes.  Good luck, but enough with the denial that somehow it is okay to destroy BSA or to line the pockets of the vulture lawyers.  None of you will ever be healed, and I have no real solution, other than trying to make the systems work to protect others going forward and bringing predators to justice when the actual perpetrators are still around to be punished.  Again, just the way it seems to me.  
  • Who's Online (See full list)