Camping & High Adventure

Sign in to follow this  

Share a camping tip.

Subforums

1. Equipment Reviews & Discussions

Discussions dealing with equipment topics (tents, lights, packs, boots, stoves, etc.)

Tales of Scout cooks, prized techniques and yummy recipes for gathering around the fire.

1825 topics in this forum

1. Thank You

• 0 replies
  2. Amazing Race

• 0 replies
  3. Favorite Mess Kit Recipe

• 0 replies
  4. Apocalypse Man

• 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
  5. Silver Moccasin Trail

• 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
Sign in to follow this  
  • LATEST POSTS

• Fair enough.  I guess I have seen too many bench projects.   I don't believe I ever criticized the scouts.  When a project is too light or easy, the advisors should be advising and not signing off for a scout.  Many advisors sign off too easy for projects, rank, and merit badge requirements. If it came across a criticism of the scout, I apologize.  I as well am reaching my lifetime limit as well. Peace to you my scouting brother, happy to have ginger ale with ya at the scouting bar any time.
    • I know the history is problematic. But the fact that indigenous people were here before us is still something that stills my heart and inspires awe, no matter how horrible the history. They were still here. They still need to have their stories told. We are lucky enough to live in an area that has some local history, some of it very colorful. Oral history about trails, encampments, token local characters. I did not like the native American appropriation in the scouting program including OA, but I did try to create a sense of wonder in cubs by taking them out to hike on trails that were here before we were, to see natural artifacts -- boulders that were used as grain mortar sites, lookouts, rumored ghosts, etc. I was not above planting purchased arrowheads in waterways for cubs to "find" on hikes. I can't fix the past. I'm not exactly sure how to appropriately tell the stories today, but I try to create an appreciation for what was lost. 
    • I'd like to get involved as much as I can.  The websites are kinda thin.  What do OA chapters normally do?  Like I said, we were so geographically dispersed, it was really impractical to get together outside of Ordeal weekends.
    • Europeans truly regarded the inhabitants of the New World as scarcely better than wild animals - if that, entitled to own nothing.  our diseases slaughtered indiginous peoples.  I wonder what the Kalapuya thought of the peoples they drove out of the area  or the slaves that they "owned." They must have regarded them as fellow beings as they allowed for intermarriage and adoption.   Thus, their form of slavery seems to have been far, far less oppressive than American chattel slavery. https://libraryguides.lanecc.edu/kalapuya; Robert H. Ruby and John A. Brown, A Guide to the Indian Tribes of the Pacific Northwest (Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1992): at p. 10. After 1829, the Klickitat Tribe invaded the Kalapuya lands and conquered much of it. "The numerically lessened Kalapuyans were by 1840 a trivial annoyance to settlers who took their lands and employed them as laborers but did not preserve for them any of their traditional homelands for their villages or for their resources needs. By 1851 there was no land in the Willamette Valley unclaimed by American settlers, who also called for the removal or genocide of all Indian peoples."  https://ndnhistoryresearch.com/tribal-regions/kalapuyan-ethnohistory/   Also of interest:  https://www.willametteheritage.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/What-Price-Eden-PDF.pdf    
    • Al Lambert's retirement was just announced along with some consolidation. Too bad this type of info isn't given out via Scoutingwire or something.    “To: National Executive Board, Scout Executives, all National Council Employees The recent reduction in force has affected all levels of the BSA. We are disappointed to formally announce that the Assistant Chief Scout Executive - National Director of Outdoor Adventures position has been eliminated. Because of that action, Al Lambert has decided to retire and his last day will be December 31, 2020. Going forward, John Mosby will give leadership to international programs, Order of the Arrow, the National Jamboree team, and the Outdoor Program and Properties Group. Patrick Sterrett will give leadership to the four High Adventure Base Directors.   Al’s iconic tenure with the BSA is best described by the words loyal and brave as found in our Scout Law. Al was passionately loyal to his staff, volunteer teams, and the principles of the BSA. He exhibited bravery when confronted with challenges that most would avoid. He accepted the challenges across his career and rallied his teams time and time again to do things they did not think they were capable of.   His loyalty to the BSA and its people resulted in numerous promotions of his team members with several ascending to become Scout executives. Many turned to Al in their toughest and most defining moments. He believes that our movement is built on relationships, volunteer and professional alike, and he worked hard to support all who he worked with.   Al’s distinguished and remarkable 40 year BSA career started in 1980 as an Exploring executive in the Chicago Area Council in Chicago, Illinois. He continued as field director for the East Valley Area Council in Forest Hills, Pennsylvania. In June of 1990, he was selected as Scout executive of the Mason Dixon Council in Hagerstown, Maryland, and then became deputy Scout executive of the National Capital Area Council in Bethesda, Maryland. In 1998, he was chosen as Scout executive of the Daniel Webster Council in Manchester, New Hampshire, and in November of 2004, he returned to become the Scout executive of the National Capital Area Council. In February of 2010, he became the Central Region Director. In his role as Central Region Director, he was tirelessly out and about with council teams engaging with unit serving executives and councils across the region. In 2016, the Central Region held an amazing All Hands that focused on empowering new executives and connecting them to our movement. In 2017, Al was selected as the Assistant Chief Scout Executive for Outdoor Adventures. In his role as ACSE, he was known to many as the “Director of Fun” – focusing on the promise of fun and adventure in Scouting programs – from the World Jamboree to amazing high adventure programs.   Al has been married to his high school sweetheart, Patricia, for 40 years. They have two daughters, two sons-in-law (one of which is a Scout executive), and five adventurous grandchildren.   We ask you to extend your very best wishes to Al and Pat as they transition to this next phase of their lives in beautiful New Hampshire...”
  • Who's Online (See full list)