• 3 replies
    • 1 reply
  6. Red Vests?

• 4 replies
  7. Patrol Patches

• 3 replies
Sign in to follow this  
  • LATEST POSTS

• Here is what is listed through the Western Massachusetts Council   Sorry for the breaks and length.  Bachelor Degree Prerequisites: Current registration as a Commissioner, Current BSA YPT Certificate, Completion of "Commissioner Basic Training" Course Requirements: Completion of seven courses of instruction, at least 5 of the courses at the Bachelor's program level   Roundtable  Bachelor Degree (some councils require 2 year commitment) Prerequisites: Current registration as a commissioner, Current BSA YPT Cert. Completion of "Roundtable Commissioner Basic Training" Course Requirements: Completion of seven courses of instruction, at least 5 of the courses at the RT Bachelors program level.   Masters Degree Prerequisites: Current registration as a commissioner, Current BSA YPT cert, Earned Arrowhead Honor, Completion of Bachelor's degree or have been awarded the COmmissioner's Key Course requirements: Completion of seven additional courses of instruction (total of 14), at least 7  of the courses at the Master's level   Roundtable Masters Prerequisites: Current registration as a commissioner, Current BSA YPT cert, Completion of "RT Commissioner Basic Training", Completion of Bachelor's Degree or have been awarded the COmmissioner's Key Course Requirements: Completion of seven courses of instruction, at least 5 of the courses at the RT Bachelor program level   Doctoral Candidate Certificate Prerequisites: Current registration as a commissioner, Current BSA YPT, Completion of Master's degree, Have been awarded the Commissioner Key Course Requirements: Note: Earning the Doctor of Commissioner Science Degree does not automatically qualify you to receive the Doctorate of Commissioner Service Knot Award!!! Completion of 10 additional courses of instruction (total of 24), at least 5 of the courses at the Doctor's or Continuing Education program level, courses may not have previously been counted toward other college degrees. Thesis or Project: This can be on any topic related to Commissioner Service, The topic must be pre0approved by the College of Commissioner Science Committee, Complete the thesis/project using the approved format as determined by the college.  Completion of a thesis or research project on any topic of value to Scouting, The topic and final paper must be approved by the Doctoral Review Committee.   Doctor of Commissioner Science Knot Award: Doctor of Commissioner Science Knot Award Current Registration as a Commissioner, Current BSA YPT Cert. Completion of Doctoral Degree, Tenure (Serve as a Commissioner for a minimum of 5 years (years need not be consecutive), Service can be in one or more roles or positions Commissioner of service Recruiting: Recruit or assist in recruiting at least 3 new Commissioners during tenure as a commissioner. Final Approval: Approval of Council or assigned Assistant Council Commissioner  
    • Objective is to develop Scouts as leaders and have Scouts experience democracy.  We also do not have school teachers take the tests with the students. So not at all "odd."  Sadly, BSA fails to train the adults properly, for example omitting explanation of Patrol Method even as they abandon it de facto for the adult-led troop method.
    • I've found that the best way to provide feedback is to understand the receiver and what they're trying to accomplish.  If you're providing feedback to a Scoutmaster, get to know him first before you start telling him what to do. A good CC plays a role here too.  A unit CC ought to be creating a volunteer culture where the group strives for teamwork & program quality mixed in with a dash of humility.  I've been blessed to be part of units that for the most part always tried to do better.  Self reflection and feedback was part of our culture.  So, when a parent or Scouter shows up and says "I've got some feedback it was welcomed and acknowledged.  Did we always do it - no.  But, we listened because we wanted their feedback.  
    • Voting seems to be a common feedback method whether by feet or ballot.  Odd that scouts elect their leaders in a troop but adults do not.      
    • An effective manager, or leader, in scouting or elsewhere will strive to guide their subordinates rather than dictate to them. Hopefully the subordinate will then be able to realize the impact of their decisions while retaining their autonomy and without feeling as though they are being undermined by their manager; e.g. Instead of a manager saying to his employee: "You're doing that wrong You need to do it this way." The manager could say to the employee: "Why do you think that things aren't working in the way that you would ideally like them to? Are there things that could be done differently? What changes do you think might achieve different results?  All of that said, this problem of bad scoutmasters and scout leaders is just far too epidemic, and I have personally encountered more than one scout leader who is completely driven and motivated by ego, power and maintaining control and who are completely unfazed or deterred by knowing that they are violating the GTA or GTSS.  My older sons' scoutmaster went as far as to lie - yes, actually lie - with the malicious intent of derailing and undermining my son's advancement towards Eagle. My son was able to prove that the SM had lied and while the SM did a little back pedaling when he got caught, it really didn't change anything. This guy is still a scoutmaster today and still working with the same troop. I also know, personally, of a number of other similar scoutmasters who have operated this way and between this board and Ask Andy, I've read far too many stories of scoutmaster or scout leaders who do what they want to do regardless of BSA policies. The advice in these situations is always the same. "Find a new troop, vote with your feet" but that doesn't address the root of the problem.  The BSA needs to maintain greater due diligence in ensuring that BSA programs are being administered properly. Good scouts are suffering and bad scout leaders are continuing to be bad scout leaders.
  • Who's Online (See full list)