• 3 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 7 replies
    • 22 replies
  5. What about a name change?

• 3 replies
  • LATEST POSTS

• Eagle94, I too am becoming very gram conscious.  I've tried to lug around equipment from my younger years.  But I'm finally admitting defeat on some items, like stoves.  Just too heavy and it wears me out.  The gear is still in good shape...but I'm not! Any thoughts on boiling/cooking times with alcohol stoves?   
    • Don't know about the Solo Stove or Evernew. I have a Trangia Alcohol Stove, which is very similar to the Solo and Evernew stoves. I've had no issues with it except 1: weight. But I am slowly turning into a "Gram Weenie"  .Trangia's are solidly constructed, but they are heavier than other stoves out there. Once nice feature is the simmer ring and screw top lid. You can put out the fire with the simmer ring, let it cool down so it, then use the screw top lid to keep the fuel not used stored for next use. I don't believe the Solo has the screw top lid. As for the Evernew, it definitely doesn't. And the price tag is out of my league. But it is titanium. Currently I am using a Batchstovez 2.0 with Cold Weather Wrap in the Ultralite kit.  I replaced the bottle in the kit with a 8 once Nalgene bottle ( don't use imitators they will leak) and I carry a 1 once Nalgene for measuring and putting in my sleeping bag for priming. I use the BCR pot in the kit as my coffee cup with the Snow Peak Hot lips. You can boil water in it, but I found that using an Imusa mug heats up faster on the stove. I am only an apprentice when it comes to alcohol stoves. Look up Shug on Youtube and you will find dozens of videos on alcohol stove and other gear.  Here is his STOVE WORLD video.    
    • @spencerdella  welcome to scouter.com. I may move your topic to sub-forum Equipment Reviews and Discussions when I figure how.  https://www.scouter.com/forum/6-equipment-reviews-discussions/
    • Was thinking of getting the Evernew Appalachian set for packing in. Never used an alcohol stove before so just wondering pros and cons of this all I need it for is to boil water don't plan on cooking with it. How much fuel should be taken for a 5-day trip planning on boiling water maybe 2 times a day and what should be used to pack fuel that won't spill? It's here my interested: Solo Alcohol Stove If you're a Solo owner, would like to hear your experience with the extendable Solo durability and how they compare to other Alcohol stoves you've tried. Thanks in advance for any recommendations! 
    • It seems to me that the better analogy would be if your neighbor paid you the $40 for the privilege of cutting your lawn.
  • Who's Online (See full list)