2. Kudu Drilling

• 1 reply
  3. training percents

• 27 replies
    • 12 replies
    • 37 replies
    • 4 replies
  • LATEST POSTS

• Just out of curiosity, what are the two special awards? Judging by your mayor, it sounds like your pack is full of achievers. I hope your B&G goes wonderfully tomorrow!
    • Are you KIDDING ME?!?  Any pack in this country would give their right arm (right den?) to have a community leader as generous and loyal to Scouting as that man! I dare say the fact that he is a former pack member himself makes the whole thing sound too good to possibly be true; what a FABULOUS friend and opportunity you have - wow I am already envious (forgive me!). There is no rule whatsoever that states only pack leaders can hand out awards - in fact this kind of community involvement should be the ideal of every Scouting unit. As it turns out, hosting community and civic leaders at Scouting ceremonies seems to have been a common occurrence in the first half of the last century, though in the latter decades Scouting units unfortunately became more insular and less bold in getting local leaders involved. But think of the benefits! It gets the community involved in Scouting and their young people's lives, it makes local leaders aware of the program and more likely to involve it in its growth and development, and it gives the boys a well-earned and legitimate understanding that, even as youth, they are important players in their community and their nation.  You go to your committee and tell them this kind of opportunity is absolutely heaven-sent and can only do good for your program. And besides even all that - your mayor sounds like one ardent supporter of the pack who more than deserves to participate in your ceremonies, at any level. You are extraordinarily fortunate to have him.
    • Because merit badges and rank advancement are so strongly associated with boy scouting, I think it would be a mistake to eliminate them entirely.  Let boys participate in the advancement program, if they wish to do so, but take all the patches (and other bling) off the uniform.  Eliminate the COH. They are a boring waste of time.   
    • I would think it was a fine idea even if the mayor was not an “alumnus” of the pack and an active supporter.  With those factors added, it’s a great idea.  What a good way to solidify community support for the pack. Plus, the Scouter who would otherwise be presenting the award can be standing next to the mayor for the presentation.  Maybe he/she can introduce the mayor.  It could be made into a positive thing for everybody.
    • Well done MBs and advancement is very meaningful to the scouts.  The challenge is every scout is not interested in every MB needed for advancement.   IMHO, the advancement program should be changed to something that is meaningful and interesting to the scouts.  Keep the challenge and growth factors.  Maybe the SM and scout should work together to create a more personalized advancement itinerary.  Maybe each time a rank is complete, the SM and scout could work to find a reasonable path for advancement to the next rank.   I think the problem would be implementing a program that is fair and evenly applied.  
  • Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online