New to Scouting?

Sign in to follow this  

Questions and answers for parents and leaders new to Scouting.

193 topics in this forum

• 19 replies
  1. Winter Camping Badge?

• 10 replies
    • 24 replies
    • 20 replies
    • 8 replies
    • 15 replies
  2. Blue & Gold Banquet

• 4 replies
    • 24 replies
  3. New Leader here...

• 5 replies
    • 8 replies
    • 14 replies
  4. New UC

• 11 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 29 replies
  5. New Parent Orientation

• 10 replies
Sign in to follow this  
  • LATEST POSTS

• I was an SA twenty-five years with the same troop.  The districts had their moments, and they had periods of dysfunction.  The council was largely dysfunctional for all twenty-five years and it remains so.  The dysfunction at those levels was irrelevant to the troop's program.  We had forty to seventy Scouts involved in an active program of Boy Scouting - tenting every month, sun, rain or snow.   We did our own summer camp more years than not because the PLC decided we did a better job overall than any of the many council camps we sampled, and we did.   After all, the troop was a going concern for four years before BSA arrived in the area, as the troop in which I was a Scout was a going concern sixteen years before BSA arrived in that area.  The old, superior literature and ideas are still easily available.  Who do you want as Wilderness Survival "counselor," a sixteen year-old who only "knows" what's in the pathetic BSA pamphlet or the assistant course director of a U.S. Army Ranger survival course?  "Many times "Teacher of the Year" biology teacher or another kid with a pamphlet who could not ID a Barred Owl when it was siting on a branch twenty feet away in plain sight? Units, given the right leadership, don't need district or council.  Few units have that leadership, and council, through its districts, is supposed to train the adults and the leaders. When council fails?   Our troop did leader training when BSA basically abandoned it, other than the week-long variety few attend - in 1971.  (Still waiting for the "new" JLOW syllabus?  No.  Why wait? We have a volunteer in the council who has prepared a unique SM Basic syllabus, and that is what we have been using for several years.  The trainees love it - don't want to leave after the closing ceremony.  The clueless council Training chairman has no idea.   In my life, I have lived trough the regimes of a number of useless political office-holders.  I distinguish living my life and doing the best I can from what is going in in city hall, the state house, and the cesspool on the Potomic.  If a Soviet officer could save German children in Berlin as it fell in April, 1945, what really stops you - now -  from doing good in Scouting now? I have fifty years in Scouting June 8th.  In all that time, program has never been B.S.A.'s top priority, as it says it is.  So what?  The change I see is fewer dedicated volunteers. We are not prevented from doing our best in the vast majority of cases in Scouting despite what goes on at the district, council, or National.  They an make our Scouting lives easier or harder but it can only stop you, 99% of the time, if you allow it.   So we have some more female kids going to be in the program- not after over forty years of having some in the program.   Want to keep bemoaning? See ?  It's the words smallest violin playing "Woe is you." The council to my south offers all the old training, and the new, as the "University of Scouting."  Anyone close to Akron want to help us?  
    • "Are you coming down into the Pit? Westley's got his strength back. I am starting him on The Blockchain* tonight." "Tyrone, you know how much I love watching you work. But I've got my country's five hundredth anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder, and Guilder to frame for it. I'm swamped." "Get some rest - if you haven't got your health, you haven't got anything." *Ok, that word isn't in the original.
    • On May 6, 2013 Adobe announced that CS6 would be the last version of the Creative Suite,[2][3][4] and that future versions of their creative software would only be available via their Adobe Creative Cloud subscription model. Adobe also announced that it would continue to support CS6 and would provide bug fixes and security updates through the next major upgrades of both Mac and Windows operating systems (as of 2013).[5] The Creative Suite packages were pulled from Adobe's online store in 2013,[6] but were still available on their website until January 2017.[ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Creative_Suite https://www.dpreview.com/news/3633651596/adobe-cs6-has-been-officially-retired But who knows maybe Adobe changed their mind or renamed new product after old. Who cares?  
    • Adobe abandon Creative Suite?   I think their sales numbers say different.
    • Is throwing bodies at the problem the answer? Or do they listen to DEs as to what their issues are and, maybe, make organizational changes to alleviate the problems?
  • Who's Online (See full list)