Issues & Politics

In answer to many requests, we established a separate forum for these topics. Those not interested can skip this forum instead of spending time reading unwanted messages to identify content.

• LATEST POSTS

• I think THIS is what is critical.  All of us have some idea, but in aggregate it would be interesting for DEs to share some details to unit leaders on common themes.  While I wasn’t able to get a report on why from my DE, he did share a print out of every unit in my district and their past 8 year membership numbers.  I was able to use that as a new CC to reach out to the successful units (in terms of attrition) and get some recruiting and org structure ideas.   Attending district meetings I’m shocked that Boy Scout Troops do not have high adventure activities every year.  Some never do HA.  Why?  As a kid, I remember the HA outings were a big reason why I stuck with my Troop for several years after Eagle (I could care less about palms).   In the end, units vary greatly and over the last 20 years there are successful units and those that fold.  BSA should be more open with existing units on these reasons vs protecting the data and making their own conclusions.
    • Hi Summerfun.  I realize your post is slightly older, but wanted to add my two cents on the matter of the cultural and religious 'defined path'.  As a non-practicing Mormon, I totally get this.  Keep your chin up.  Even though it's tough to face the disapproval you might get from some members, the example you'll set for your son and others by being strong and doing the right thing will outweigh bucking the cultural tide - particularly over time.  If there are non-LDS troops nearby, I'd take your son for a visit and let him see what he thinks. Given the differences in the program, he may like it better.
    • I didn’t go to summer camp last year due to working at the day camp. I’m 15 and 2 Eagle merit badges away. (no summer camps really offer the ones I need around me).  I don’t even know if I will be able to miss a week of the day camp to attend summer camp, it depends on what position I get this year. What do your senior scouts do at summer camp to keep busy?
    • @UncleP l feel your pain. During the rechartering process, I have generated far more detail than BSA has ever published. For example, for each member who doesn't renew, I have to explain why. There are some check-boxes and one open-ended field. Those data of how many quit for which reason have never been in this report to the nation. The annual report does include financial statements. If you have nothing better to do, you could fish through those and see how they stack up over the years. I don't like the belligerent tone this POTUS takes, but I wouldn't mind if he asked our VIP scouts, "Where have the rest of your mates gone?"
    • I worked with statistics through most of my professional life, and looking at the numbers given my main impression is that they are not very useful for any kind of analysis.   The numbers are too general for any valid comparisons to be made with previous years.  The numbers for each group needs to be broken down to show more specific details.  Once again examples have already been brought up by other forum members:                                                                                             Cubs:  What percentage of the total numbers is composed of the new "Lion" program.                                    Scouts:  How much of the 12K increase was do to LDS Venturing Crews reverting to Scout troops.              Venturing:  How much of the decline was caused by LDS crews leaving the program, and will be a one time loss. From a strictly financial standpoint the question arises, how much membership is required to support the BSA's current infrastructure and fixed costs.   In future reports, it would be interesting to see what the number of girls who join the various programs will be.  The current report seems to me to be more for PR than for analysis and management. Thank you PS Being a "Numbers Geek" is not easy.    
  • Who's Online (See full list)