Issues & Politics

In answer to many requests, we established a separate forum for these topics. Those not interested can skip this forum instead of spending time reading unwanted messages to identify content.

2628 topics in this forum

• 0 replies
  1. Now the District of Columbia

• 0 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 0 replies
    • 21 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 8 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 15 replies
    • 17 replies
    • 12 replies
  2. Exploiting Innocence

• 21 replies
    • 1 reply
  • LATEST POSTS

• They do that one thing well.
    • I have fairly bad asthma and so stay pretty far back and always up wind from camp fires.  He really just needs to learn to do that.  As several folks have said fires aren't really for warmth they're mostly for socializing.  If you're dressed/equipped properly, getting close to the fire just causes you to either over heat or open your jacket. ETA, I also have found for kids with allergies that they may be OK under normal, at-home conditions where most of the air is filtered and or conditioned, but they have problems when they're outside for 48 hours straight like we are on campouts.  Ramp up the OTC allergy meds: Zyrtec, Allegra, Claritin, etc. several days before a campout and keep them going a few days afterwards
    • Good points...I forgot to mention I was referring also to the epaulets/shoulder straps themselves; removing them from the shirt design would save money.  All they do is keep the OA sash from falling.
    • Wow!  Thankfully he doesn't have asthma.  That is really scary.  It was sunny and in the 50s this weekend -- but went down to freezing overnight, so I am guessing he was near it in the evening.  He said he tried to stay away and stay upwind, but it got realy smoky once because someone put a green log on it.  They were cooking over a camp stove. He should have been well dressed enough to not really need to be near it.  I don't think he changed clothes all weekend.  He had on his class As with a shirt underneath, plus he had a hoodie he wore a lot.  And he had a winter coat and hat for evening.  Now, whether he wore them or not.......that I cannot attest to......    
    • He got allergy shots for 5 years and they really helped.  He rarely gets season allergies symptoms now -- maybe a day or two in the spring and again in the fall.  We have him use Flonase most of the year and Xyzal during peak times.     Hmmm.  That might help, but he would probably not want to stand out like that. 
  • Who's Online (See full list)