Open Discussion - Program

Share Scouting Topics here.

Subforums

1. Scouts with Disabilities

Where parents and scouters go to discuss unique aspects to working with kids with special challenges.

A place to chat about Scouting's biggest gathering

9245 topics in this forum

1. Friend

• 2 replies
  2. Cool Merit Badge site

• 0 replies
    • 0 replies
  3. Help with Ropework

• 0 replies
  4. Patrol

• 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 1k views
    • 0 replies
    • 8 replies
    • 1.2k views
  5. Website wishes

• 2 replies
    • 1k views
  6. We need links

• 0 replies
    • 1.1k views
    • 2 replies
    • 1k views
    • 1 reply
    • 1k views
    • 1 reply
    • 2 replies
    • 1.1k views
  • LATEST POSTS

• Another question - was this done at recharter or out of the blue?  Yeah, but de-select out of the blue is out of the normal. 
    • @TGB 1. WELCOME TO DA FORUMS! 2. BSA has always allowed charter orgs to select their own leadership. While many, if not most, did not do anything but sign paperwork and provide meeting space, some have taken ownership. You will probably see a lot more COs take ownership due to the BSA's bankruptcy and lawsuit. COs may not be covered by the bankruptcy settlement, despite BSA's promises in the past. 3. I bet it felt like sucker punch to the gut getting told you are no longer allowed to be a volunteer. A troop I was in needed a new Scoutmaster (SM) because the current one had major health issues. The Charter Organization (CO) had a policy that the SM must be a member of the congregation. I was not of that faith, knew the policy, but told the SM I would be willing to take over if approved. He was all for it, but told me he did not think it would go past the Charter Org. Representative (COR). I had a meeting with the COR, and I was turned down. It hurt, despite knowing it was a long shot.I stuck around and continued as an ASM until other issues caused my family to leave.  4. Whatever you decide, good luck.
    • Maybe we all have such stories? The volley ball head coach who was brought up on charges, but never convicted. Banned from the sport, though. He did, out of the kindness of his heart, adopt the baby of a 17 year teammate as his own child. Just a kind heart, I guess?
    • I can accept your view.  I think scouting is more advanced than many programs especially as the leaders are now so focused on YPT.  But I accept your view.  ... I think the real risk in scouting is the stupidity at times.   Do we really need a G2SS to prevent the use of canons at camp?  Well, yes we do because ..... My concern is mainly from what I've seen through my life.    Not seven layers of separation, but two.  My city.  My school.  My kid's school.  My kid's classmates.  Local teachers.  Local roller rink.  Local music teacher(S).  When I was a kid, it was several hockey players in my high school class suspended for what today is a felony.  I truly believe more damage will be done by treating it as BSA specific.  Society needs to recognize abuse happens, even where you least expect it.  It needs to be recognized and reported.   I remember what I considered a shocking YPT violation in the last ten years by a hockey team leaders.  Traveling game.  Hotel room.  All the dads went out for an evening at the bar.  One guy stayed back with the players.  Was it always the same guy staying back?  Staying late?  Socializing with players on his own?  ... IMHO, it should have been clear two or more should have stayed back.  ... Ahhh ... but it's hockey.  Abuse never happens there. (sarcasm) ... My wife has similar stories.  The youth pastor who somehow quickly married a young lady that was one of the youth in the church.    
    • Sometimes it's not about the money.   It's about the key unique identity provided by the HA bases.
  • Who's Online (See full list)