Open Discussion - Program

Share Scouting Topics here.

Subforums

1. Scouts with Disabilities

Where parents and scouters go to discuss unique aspects to working with kids with special challenges.

A place to chat about Scouting's biggest gathering

9231 topics in this forum

1. Webelos at pack meetings

• 3 replies
  2. Scoutmate software

• 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
  3. Yet another Paper Eagle 1 2

• 16 replies
    • 2.4k views
    • 0 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 5 replies
    • 0 replies
  4. UNIFORM INSPECTION SHEET

• 3 replies
  5. the elusive scouts-L

• 2 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 1.1k views
  6. Need advice on discipline

• 3 replies
  7. Scouts with a Handicap

• 2 replies
  8. committee member

• 4 replies
  • LATEST POSTS

• If you're speaking to me, I don't feel it's my brotherly "duty." Not at all. I do feel it's just right to defend someone/anyone against accusations that aren't backed up by facts. It's easy to cast aspersions. That's my response to that one. Is it "Scout-like" to accuse without proof, even if it's convenient and helps make your point? You guys probably know more about today's standard of Scout-likeness, given my years of absence. I really think you will need to ask your local exec's who'll need to ask their superiors who'll need to ask Mosbey. The BSA controls the stick and rudders on this whole thing. Anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't been following. IF they were forthcoming and facilitated full disclosure from the jump, many of these hours would not be logged. Right? Are you saying the TCC is resisting progress? Now, I will share my own experience. The first day of law school I told my cohorts I would not practice law for long. Reason? I couldn't see myself tethered to billable hours for the rest of my life and I didn't plan on litigating or owning my own firm. I wanted to figure out what's what and move into a business role. In many respects, I look back with regret that I didn't take the in-house role I was offered with HP immediately after graduation. My life is full of such regrets. Oh, well. I distinctly recall being told, "You only billed X hours on this series of agreements. There's no way you did it that fast. Think about any other time that went into how your structured it, etc." I was once told I could "bill the time you think about it, even on the john." There you have it. I didn't like it. I left after 7 years and helped start an entertainment venture. That said, I will not impugn someone else because I don't know what they're doing. However, I know some of the men on the TCC and they rigorously review all invoices and ensure me/us the professionals are working their tails off.
    • I think we've got a couple of lawyers in here who feel it is their duty to defend their profession from anyone who might attack it.  I don't think anyone is really intending to attack the legal profession, fellas - nor is anyone saying lawyers have never had any value to anyone whatsoever who ever lived in any society throughout all of history. I guess my question is this - to a lot of us on the outside, it looks like the legal teams are just billing, billing, billing, and nothing's getting accomplished.  In the legal profession, is there any reward at all for efficiency?  Why haven't they just moved on and gotten something done yet?   The cynic in me thinks it's because they're still getting paid regardless of whether the case progresses.  If that's true, the logical conclusion, then, is that they have no impetus to conclude the case, so long as they can continue to bill. I think that's the concern that we legal laypeople have about all of this - why isn't anything happening?  From my (limited) perspective, it looks like the BSA has to just keep paying all these legal bills with nothing to show for it and no end in sight. Would one of you fine gentlemen with a legal background care to enlighten those of us who don't understand all of this?
    • FYI ... This is a repeated story.  Just add BSA to the list. USA Gymnastics - https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/olympics/while-larry-nassar-victims-wait-lawyers-cash-in-on-usa-gymnastics-bankruptcy/2019/12/17/b782e07a-10a0-11ea-b0fc-62cc38411ebb_story.html  
    • Was supposed to have quoted all this. Sorry. fred8033 It's called a "kick-back".  Choose us to be your lawyers and we will give you 10% of our fees.  ... Of course, we'll make sure our fee is at least 20% higher than other clients.  Thus, you both get richer thru the kickback. We had a local place give a box of stakes if you chose them to replace your car's windshield.  Very popular place ... until the insurance companies succeeded pointing out they were being billed well above the value of the stakes.  I think courts got involved and agreed that the insurance company did not need to pay. T/N: Aha. There is the real crux: you're a mind reader and heart renderer with vast knowledge of the firm's history, motives and record of representing creditor committees. I have no such intimate and expansive knowledge, so I'll let you sit with yours, resting your head on their impugned character and all that entails. Btw, I was at the TCC selection day in Delaware and met the firms applying for the role. I didn't hear anything while talking with them or after their selection was announced about a "package of steaks" and "ginsu knives" deal deal, express or implied. I happen to know they were selected based on experience, reputation, skill, track record and passion for representing sexual abuse tort creditor committees. 
    • I'm not so sure. The reassurances were pretty emphatic to my council. 
  • Who's Online (See full list)