Open Discussion - Program

Share Scouting Topics here.

Subforums

1. Scouts with Disabilities

Where parents and scouters go to discuss unique aspects to working with kids with special challenges.

A place to chat about Scouting's biggest gathering

9161 topics in this forum

• 1 reply
    • 14 replies
  1. Den Chief age 1 2

• 25 replies
    • 64 replies
    • 23 replies
    • 12 replies
    • 8 replies
  2. Camp Box

• 7 replies
  3. Adult Merit Badge

• 6 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 12 replies
    • 13 replies
    • 7 replies
  4. Totin' Chip 1 2

• 21 replies
  5. twilight camp

• 3 replies
  • LATEST POSTS

• Also, I appreciate your sympathy. Yes, I have been in therapy and various treatment modalities for about 20 years. Things went south when our oldest son asked to join Scouts.
    • You're welcome. I sincerely hope neither my comments nor presence will inhibit the conversation. If so, I apologize. 
    • @ThenNow, I understand what you’re saying.  Something serious, sexually, happened to you as a youth member.     I was lucky.  My Pack, Troop and Post were led by good people, and my parents were involved.  I can only have sorrow for your experience. As for your personal pain, I pray you are or were in counseling to help it.  In my own life pains (wholly different from sexual abuse) my doc has helped me.    thank you for opening up. 
    • @ThenNow on behalf of scouter.com moderators welcome. @MattR @John-in-KC @RememberSchiff
    • I still question if admitting girls was a response to the LDS leaving.  The LDS had to be working on their alternate program for years and I expect informed the BSA of their decision well ahead of any public announcements.  Giving the timing, it seems like the BSA added girls as they knew they would be losing LDS membership.  Would be interesting to hear the details once they all come out.   Covid has devastated our Pack.  Our Troop shrank by 24% but our Pack will shrink by 80%+.  I expect we will recover some next fall when we can return to normal … but it will take 2 -  3 years to get back to our original membership, if at all possible.   That said, Covid & the lawsuits while massive impacts, may simply be pulling in the end date of the BSA.  If BSA was healthy going in, I'm sure it could survive both.  The real issue is that BSA has been in decline for decades. In my area, the groups that seem to be expanding have hired staff.  Travel sports have paid coaches.  After school programs have paid staff.  Non BSA overnight week long summer camps cost $800+ but have well compensated staff, cabins and nice equipment.  Their commonality …. no or limited time commitment from parents. Volunteer organizations that thrived in the 1900s are dying in the 2000s.  I wonder if this is a symptom of 2 income households.  Moms and dads both working and then are expected to both share in household activities after work.  Neither have time/energy to spend with volunteer organizations (like Boy Scouts, youth sports, etc.).  This isn't true 100%, but finding good volunteers is tough these days. I wonder if it was a model that worked well in the past but doesn't work well going forward and also explains the decline of the fraternal orders. Look at the rise in dual income households since 1960.  While BSA membership has other causes & effects, I expect this was a huge headwind.        
  • Who's Online (See full list)