• LATEST POSTS

• The Nassar case is troubling because it literally happened right in front of parents. To me it once again speaks to the risk created when the abuser is cloaking themselves in some kind of presumed trustworthiness -- a priest, a doctor, or a scout leader. I think the message is that a lot of damage has occurred in our case because of the BSA credo that a scout is trustworthy. 
    • I think it has changed.  - Cameras are everywhere -- buses, fields, field houses, parking lots, doorways, hallways, dumpster areas, fields, practice areas, gyms. Games are streamed.  There is no streaming at camp grounds.   - Most high schools and some middle schools have security on duty whenever kids are on the premises. Custodial staff today are trained in site security. School access is very limited and monitored - Overnight trips are part of travel and sports like swimming but generally your kid is staying in your hotel room with you. In my experience, most parents go.   That's not to say that things still don't happen but people frequently point to other activities as being equally risky and they just are not.       
    • So, I think the best way to implement your ticket is to lean into the patrol method and MB counseling. How about this for a goal: Develop and market patrol-oriented MB instruction. Develop an invite along the lines of “Mr/Miss Leader of the —— Patrol, You and the youth you lead are invited to schedule a weekend or set of evenings for my —— MB challenge.” Promote your program to the troop(s) you serve. In other words, think of the MB’s you teach. Go over the requirements. Identify those that might best be performed as a patrol activity — especially if there is a convenient resource in your community where that activity could be done. Explain that you will only handle one patrol at a time. Ideally, there will be one patrol who will take the bait. But, if not, at least scouts will have met one adult who takes them as a patrol seriously.
    • Hmm, as a former coach, I had to deal with more abuse than in scouting. You folks are thinking sexual abuse, but I think in the context of adult power over the youth. I have seen a lot of abuse, or near abuse, when coaches loose their temper at the players, But sometime flare ups are at each other, which is scary in of itself for youth. My older son quit soccer from two coaches of apposing teams got into a fist fight. And, this was in front of other parents. And it may not even be tempers, but adults applying their power on the players by just yelling to get them to perform certain actions for the sport.  The most troubling abuse case I had to personally deal with in the BSA was the adult who last his temper at a scout and physically hit him. Not in a physically harmful way, but very mentality upsetting for the scout and those around him. That adult was asked to leave, but it had nothing to do with sex. I don't know, seems the discussions here are worst case scenarios of rare and unlikely acts from adults ignoring the more common likely acts.  Barry  
    • I would suggest that an intransigent attitude has nothing to do with tenure. I’ve seen this with leaders who’ve only had a couple of years under their belts and their kids are still in their unit.
  • Who's Online (See full list)