Open Discussion - Program

Share Scouting Topics here.

Subforums

1. Scouts with Disabilities

Where parents and scouters go to discuss unique aspects to working with kids with special challenges.

A place to chat about Scouting's biggest gathering

9188 topics in this forum

1. Adult Patrol

• 12 replies
  2. Bob White 1 2

• 16 replies
  3. ASM duties

• 9 replies
    • 1.1k views
  4. Gleaning

• 2 replies
    • 6 replies
  5. New role

• 2 replies
  6. Board of Review

• 8 replies
  7. Troop Committee Composition

• 7 replies
    • 15 replies
  8. National Camping School

• 1 reply
  9. Tsungani?

• 4 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 27 replies
    • 1.2k views
  10. Problem SM 1 2

• 15 replies
  • LATEST POSTS

• I have always expected youth to address adults as "Mr Lastname" or "Mrs Lastname".  My boys are 40 and still address their former SM as "Mr."  .  And I hate when friends tell their kids to address me as "Mr Firstname".  Guess I'm just old school and was taught to show respect to my elders.   
    • It depends, how does the adult want to be addressed? Growing up, we had a LtCol. in various positions. He was also a MD.  We addressed him as "Doc _____________" or just plain "Doc" In my middle son's den, his DL was an MD, but went by "Mr. _______________"
    • You summed it up quite nicely. At times, I use the Mrs./Mrs./Ms. so much, I even use it during committee meetings, but no one seems to mind. It is hard to "code switch" at times. 
    • Adult to adult --- First name  Scout to adult -- Mr./Mrs./Ms. No professional honorifics Adult giving instructions and referencing another adult -- Mr./Mrs./Ms. I don't like it when kids address adults without a courtesy title, but that might be more a reflection of our demographics. Some of the kids around here could use reminders about basic manners and social courtesies, especially in formal communications. 
    • I’m a first name guy. Period. But, that’s not the culture I live in. So, if scouts are compelled to address me as Mr. Q., I try to address them as Mr./Miss. My problem at the moment is our troop is chock full of siblings, so I’m using first names more regularly.
  • Who's Online (See full list)