Open Discussion - Program

Share Scouting Topics here.

Subforums

1. Scouts with Disabilities

Where parents and scouters go to discuss unique aspects to working with kids with special challenges.

A place to chat about Scouting's biggest gathering

9185 topics in this forum

1. Gleaning

• 2 replies
    • 6 replies
  2. New role

• 2 replies
  3. Board of Review

• 8 replies
  4. Troop Committee Composition

• 7 replies
    • 15 replies
  5. National Camping School

• 1 reply
  6. Tsungani?

• 4 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 27 replies
    • 1.2k views
  7. Problem SM 1 2

• 15 replies
    • 27 replies
    • 1.2k views
  8. Illni Jamboree

• 5 replies
    • 12 replies
    • 1.7k views
  • LATEST POSTS

• That would be fun to be part of. I missed the video played after the inauguration of places all across the country. Was this clip in that? I'd like to see that whole thing.  
    • We're planning on having a cook out at a local state park.  Probably won't be in Feb, which is our coldest month in NC.  
    • Cub Scouting in the time of COVID has become very challenging.  My son's den consist of two Tigers, and a Lion.  We are meeting outdoors as of now, but might be moving to someone's house as the weather gets colder here in NC.  Our Wolf den has one kid.  Bears have two, one of which will be moving this summer.  I've lost track of our Weblos - I think 2, both are moving this summer, along with their den leader and the Cubmaster.  I'll assume that role.  We're trying to figure out recruiting, both for new scouts and for participation from the parents we have.  One told me flat out, "not this year".  I told another tonight that we won't be able to survive with the 4 parents we have involved - two couples.  We had a very active presence at our church's Trunk or Treat, handing out information sheets on how to join to every kid that was eligible.  Nothing came of it.  Apparently, we aren't the worst in our district either.  The lack of schools being in session makes it difficult to get the kids talking to their classmates about coming.  How are other packs recruiting? 
    • Gas in my state went up 15 cents on inauguration day.  You?
    • I've worked with boys and girls and their tracking of things is indeed a high order of chaos. I'm not saying that the "blank ticket" approach is the way to go. I'm just using it to point out that there is a lot of non-essential print in BSA's supply chain. And much of that exists to make adults' life easier, but actually has ensnared adults in a vicious cycle of increased bean-counting. Compare how many adults in an average troop are involved in tracking a scouts' advancement today vs. how many when we were kids. But, given printed media, what has BSA done over the years, especially recent decades? It has used the power of print to pack more words on a page and create an increasingly convoluted series of checklist requirements. We've uncorked a Pandora's box. If the underlying principle is, according to congressional charter "to teach boys to do things for themselves", then the ticket approach is one way to push back against the piling on supposed "skills". Besides, there are a lot of unused envelopes out there!
  • Who's Online (See full list)