Open Discussion - Program

Share Scouting Topics here.

Subforums

1. Scouts with Disabilities

Where parents and scouters go to discuss unique aspects to working with kids with special challenges.

A place to chat about Scouting's biggest gathering

9224 topics in this forum

• 2 replies
  1. Scoutmaster(New)

• 3 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 8 replies
    • 7 replies
  2. Scout Skill Fair

• 3 replies
    • 15 replies
  3. Backazimuth

• 1 reply
    • 5 replies
  4. Tax deductions 1 2

• 18 replies
  5. Greenbar Bill Logo

• 3 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 23 replies
    • 1.2k views
  6. High math Camping MB

• 13 replies
    • 41 replies
    • 1.7k views
  • LATEST POSTS

• @Alaina on behalf of the scouter.com moderators,  welcome.
    • Good day all.  I am fairly new to scouting--my kids are scouts but I do not know a lot about the way scouting works.  I have learned a lot but have a ways to go. I am a committee member and recently did my first weekend of Woodbadge and I am struggling with my ticket items.  It was stated multiple times to "stay in our lanes" when it came to deciding on ticket items.  Here is my problem--I am a committee member for a very small troop--Only 5 members and not all of them are very active. Our committee chair verbally stepped down but not officially and our committee has only had maybe 3 meetings in the 2 years we have been scouting. What are some ideas you guys have to help me think about ticket items that stay in my lane? I know it needs to be diverse, be something I can do without depending on someone else completely, and be under the umbrella of committee member.  2 of my items are about training for myself but if someone could add some insight and direction I would be appreciative.   Alaina
    • That horse left the barn years ago.  The BSA has settled multiple cases in and out of court already.  You've already paid.
    • Agreed.  The HA bases are the major asset National has available. Most of this seems like a waste of time until a judge rules on their status.  We are well over a year into bankruptcy and we have yet to be to see any judge rule on the bases.  It’s time to get that moving. 
    • That could be fodder for the claimant committees to argue that the HA bases are in fact available for liquidation as part of a settlement. The open sale of camping-time to non-Scouts could even call BSA's non-profit status into question. It might help defend against such complaints if there was a "hardship discount", where, for example, families with income below the poverty line could have their camping fees partially or fully waived. Similarly, my Council's flagship camp only runs about 6-8 weeks of actual Boy Scout camp program in the summer. They also get revenue by hosting high-school band camps, and church youth groups, and so forth. And my local GSUSA council has a "family camp" as one of their properties, although they're currently planning to sell it. It's only a few miles down the road from a BSA camp. 
  • Who's Online (See full list)