Open Discussion - Program

Share Scouting Topics here.

Subforums

1. Scouts with Disabilities

Where parents and scouters go to discuss unique aspects to working with kids with special challenges.

A place to chat about Scouting's biggest gathering

9204 topics in this forum

1. BSA -vs- Girl Scouts 1 2

• 21 replies
    • 1.1k views
    • 11 replies
    • 14 replies
    • 8 replies
    • 1.6k views
    • 5 replies
    • 5 replies
  2. humurous story 1 2

• 17 replies
  3. About getting trained 1 2

• 23 replies
    • 1k views
  4. patrol boxes?

• 2 replies
  5. PACK TRAINER

• 5 replies
  6. Ruitan Club

• 0 replies
  7. NAUMS

• 1 reply
    • 3 replies
  8. Chicago Area Council? Anyone? 1 2

• 20 replies
    • 1.2k views
    • 16 replies
  • LATEST POSTS

• That was true 20 or 30 years ago but not now. People are generally just pretty depraved in the prison system. I have family who work in corrections and it is a different world today. 
    • No, when they go to prison, the inmates usually take justice into their hands.  Child molesters are the lowest in the prison pecking order...and a target for everyone else. 
    • That's heartbreaking. I also did not tell my father certain things for similar reasons but thankfully those things that negatively affected me were not of that nature. I recently found out about a couple friends who were younger than me who were abused by an adult we knew and the guilt that I did not see it and help them is overwhelming. I wish such things had not happened to you or to them.
    • To ThenNow, I'd bet there are many similar reasons ...  not wanting people to judge their kid when accusing such an upright adult ... so sick that it can't be true ... don't want to be "that" family ...  or the family that caused problems for their church, school, community ... or just don't want to be associated with it.  ... family dynamics are large and ugly at times.  ...  And those parents were kids when pregnant women were not really to be seen in public and out-of-wedlock daughters would be shipped away to have their kid.  ... Only in 1978 did it become illegal to fire a woman for getting pregnant.  Though uncouth before, sexual harassment was outlawed around 1977.    Things have drastically changed in the last fifty years.  Wrong is wrong, but judging the past is hard. 
    • For my part, I offer two points: 1) I literally was looking at my dad and thought about telling him. I knew my dad would 'kill' my Scout Master so I said nothing. I did not want my dad to go to prison nor ruin the Troop I loved. There were 10 people in my family and we would't have survived without him, not to mention the pain it would have caused. I was 10 and never again thought of telling an adult, though it continued for 6 years; and 2) I became aware just a few years ago that other parents/adults, besides those complicit or tangentially involved none of whom had kids in Scouting, were aware. The parents/dads only challenged him as to their own boys: "Touch my kid and you're dead."  
  • Who's Online (See full list)