Open Discussion - Program

Share Scouting Topics here.

Subforums

1. Scouts with Disabilities

Where parents and scouters go to discuss unique aspects to working with kids with special challenges.

A place to chat about Scouting's biggest gathering

8794 topics in this forum

• 32 replies
    • 48 replies
    • 10 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 123 replies
  1. Music for Eagle Ceremony

• 20 replies
  2. Scout Law Acronym

• 37 replies
    • 14 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 247 replies
    • 13 replies
    • 119 replies
    • 147 replies
    • 17 replies
  3. Position Codes

• 18 replies
  • LATEST POSTS

• I've been consistent. I haven't responded to either thread. Personally, I'd rather see the MB patches be small enough that 21 can fit on a uniform and then there's no need for a sash. But it is what it is and isn't worth the argument. Same applies to the other thread.
    • I really like our local DE - but have come to the realization that we don't really need as many of them as we have.  In our area, our DEs largely offset the fact that our district volunteer teams have dwindled.  Our district and councils could opreate at about a third the staff. So, rather than drive down membership by increasing costs to Scouts, I think it's time for councils to revisit the DE model.  Let districts either shrink or deal with finding volunteers to make them successful.
    • I don't really care if a Scout wears one sash or two.  They could wear an orange uniform for all I care.  What's important is the big picture. However, as we get into these topics, as a community we seem to take a wierd stance on these things.  In the past week, I've commented on two topics.  This one and the one on female scouts getting credit for past work.  In the other topic, there was a decided group of Scouters who thought less of a teenager because she wanted to get credit for her Scouting experience as an "unofficial scout".  She was deemed to not be Eagle worthy because Eagle quality people would never put their own needs ahead of others.   Yet, in this topic, we seem to have no problem saying - feel free to break the uniform rules and show off your 100+ merit badges. As Scouters, I simply think we need to be consistent.  If you've got an Eagle with 100+ merit badges that wants to run around with two sashes, shouldn't a friendly Scouter take him aside and say "you're blantatnly showing off here - as an Eagle Scout you ought to set a better example." If we want to respect that each Scout's journey is different and that they are welcome to some moments of personal pride, I've got no problem.  Just seems that we as Scouters ought to be consistent.  
    • The democracy in our Scouting is not parliamentary.  The Scouts in the troop elect the SPL, not the "MPs."  So there are no votes of confidence in Scouting.  The PLC may change the election cycle.  If, as is supposed to be the case, a Scout spends the great bulk of his/her Scouting time in Patrol activities, missteps by the SPL are less critical.  
    • Ok, I must be remembering what I was told at a University of Scouting then, rather than it being something I read because I know for sure that's what the instructor there was telling people. Well, that's good, I never liked the whole idea of "You should try not to, but can if you must", because it always made me feel like I was being an ass when I would tell a scout they should ask someone else. (Yes, our troop generally makes the scouts track adults down for a BOR)
  • Who's Online (See full list)