Open Discussion - Program

Share Scouting Topics here.

Subforums

1. Scouts with Disabilities

Where parents and scouters go to discuss unique aspects to working with kids with special challenges.

A place to chat about Scouting's biggest gathering

8776 topics in this forum

• 32 replies
    • 48 replies
    • 10 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 123 replies
  1. Music for Eagle Ceremony

• 20 replies
  2. Scout Law Acronym

• 37 replies
    • 14 replies
    • 247 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 13 replies
    • 119 replies
    • 147 replies
    • 17 replies
  3. Position Codes

• 18 replies
  • LATEST POSTS

• Recommend getting a trailer that can be towed by an F150 style pickup.  That is a problem to expect people to have bigger trucks to tow the trailer and if you don't have one you have a trailer that can't get towed.  It also is a strain on the vehicles.   Also, we liked having a side door and two doors in the back vs. the single fold down door.  We found a used trailer from a troop in the area that didn't need it anymore.  Got a good deal.  It might be worthwhile checking around to see if any troops have an extra trailer.
    • Welcome from Austin, Texas
    • Ha - I took the Scouts to Mohican State Park this weekend and as seems to be par for the course with every campout in the last 7 years - it rained, hard.  So the Scout skills changed from planning for a hike with a significant rise to starting a fire in the rain.  All sorts of fire starters - none of them worked.  So the old man (me) said, "Boys, you're not building this thee right way.  You need a tepee shape and the right starter"  So of course in my backpack I have three small sticks of "pipestone" wood.  I put my twigs together, kindling and the pipestone and then arrange all of the wood for easy access and staying dry under a tarp.  Three strikes on flint with steel and a pocket of lint and the fire took off.  You would think I was Harry Potter....  campfire.  I think the boys now know two things: "pipestone" is common around us - use it and the tepee is the fastest way to go.
    • That is well said - "Will you be around for our Scouts"  My two sons are in the Boy Scout troop but the oldest will age out next year and the youngest struggles at times but the unit is being built for the community, not just for us.  I keep telling parents that they should "own it" and they will get more from it.  Lack of parent involvement is an issue in the urban setting with single family parent and 3 kids or more.
    • We had to deal with this as parents. Femurs grew, skirt didn't. The principle was doing his best to handle things discretely. Even so Mrs. Q took umbrage. Daughter wasn't offended, but also didn't think she had much agency in the situation. So, I understand the emotion. I just want to hear from an organization who is partnering with me recognize that my family (including children) might be in favor of their school's dress code -- and share advice on how I may help my daughter enter into this dialogue. With youth, always promote both civic action and servant leadership. Middle school kids often see things going on in a community that other folks miss. Their playground/pool might be impacted by budget cuts. There might be a dangerous intersection on the way to school. Or, a newly elected public official might need to know the issues important to youth.
  • Who's Online (See full list)