Open Discussion - Program

Share Scouting Topics here.

Subforums

1. Scouts with Disabilities

Where parents and scouters go to discuss unique aspects to working with kids with special challenges.

A place to chat about Scouting's biggest gathering

8757 topics in this forum

1. World Jamboree

• 0 replies
  2. World Jamboree

• 7 replies
  3. World Jamboree 2007

• 2 replies
    • 11 replies
  4. World Jamboree XXI

• 4 replies
    • 7 replies
    • 2 replies
  5. Worship service songs

• 23 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 15 replies
    • 15 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 15 replies
  6. would you go to this?

• 11 replies
    • 33 replies
  • LATEST POSTS

• You are not a poor instructor. The FAA found in their research that Aviation GPS manufacturers needed to develop some commonality in their user interfaces so pilots didn't have to relearn a system every time they jumped into a different airplanes. Most pilots rent airplanes, so flying a different airplane each flight is not unusual.  Barry
    • All that sounds great, but what's really got some of our boys fired up is the promise of being able to ride the air boats. Noise and power and all that... We're really excited about coming out to Swamp Base. We do have a former scoutmaster who refuses to go anywhere where there's alligators, but I reassured him, telling him that the alligators haven't eaten very many scouters so far this year. See y'all in a few weeks.
    • I can see why you think that. But, I believe I'm being fair that there is a lot of woman bolstering in our culture these days. My point is a lot of adults want the girls program to be successful, and they are pushing the girl units a differently than boy units to generate that success at the expense of the boys.  It's the nature of adults. Most districts see adult driven agendas for one reason or another all the time. But, adding girls to a national program brings out a national commonality for adults wanting to prove the success of girl units. We already see it in the press. And as I said before, one local paper had a cartoon that said "now the girls aren't treated as underclass anymore." My response to that cartoon was wondering how the GSUSA leadership feel about being consider underclass, or are they treating boys as underclass. Barry
    • Hey now, I loved the red beret & still have one that I occasionally wear with my 70's green uniform.
    • Some models do, but it's not always well designed.  I tried teaching one of these classes and learned more than I taught. Lesson 1: Everybody needs to have the same model GPS unit or smartphone app, otherwise you're stuck teaching general theory (this is how trilateration works, WAAS ground stations improve your fix but cellphones don't support them, cold fix vs. hot fix, you can add waypoints but how to do it depends on your device,  blah, blah, blah, eyes roll back into the head...). Lesson 2: Don't assume everyone remembers what latitude and longitude are. Or skip it entirely and go straight to UTM (which is way more useful). Or maybe I'm just a poor instructor.
  • Who's Online (See full list)