Open Discussion - Program

Share Scouting Topics here.

Subforums

1. Scouts with Disabilities

Where parents and scouters go to discuss unique aspects to working with kids with special challenges.

A place to chat about Scouting's biggest gathering

8776 topics in this forum

• 10 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 32 replies
    • 48 replies
    • 0 replies
  1. ZERO HOUR

• 14 replies
  2. Zebras and Ducks

• 13 replies
    • 9 replies
  3. YPT question

• 9 replies
    • 12 replies
  4. YP and G2SS Questions

• 48 replies
  5. Youth Training

• 20 replies
  6. Youth Training

• 3 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 20 replies
  • LATEST POSTS

• Thunderbird:  Thanks for the specific “catches” on merit badges and rank requirements that have time requirements that need advance attention.  This is the kind of thing we need these youth to be aware of. Qwaze:  The multiple weeks of summer camp is good for merit badge completion — especially for the previously “unscouted” girl.  Our 7 weekend campouts will give them plenty of chance to compile the 20 nights.  Great overall thoughts. keep the ideas flowing folks.  When we have covered it enough I will compile a one-page summary and post it broadly.
    • My oldest Scout did the same. Wore a swim shirt at all swimming events including indoor pools where sunburn was not an issue. Said it was a modesty issue. I never understood... until she came out as a trans woman around age 21. Turns out she was uncomfortable showing her chest because inside she identified as and felt like a girl and it didn't feel right.  I'm of course not suggesting that this is the reason for any other person, just an example that people may have a variety of "concealed" reasons for doing what they do. My 2nd Scout always wore a swim shirt outdoors for sun protection. Maybe this kid is like mine and hates the feeling of sunscreen, but doesn't want to admit it for some reason. 🤷‍♀️
    • That’s either a personal interpretation or he was concealing his true reason. I’ve never met anyone that felt that way.  What I was hoping to communicate with my original response is that I would prefer to go to the Oath and Law for guidance over the GSS for a question like this. In other words, “Teach them correct principles and [let them] govern themselves.”
    • @Cburkhardt, I think any other scout's particular written plan could send your scouts down a very wrong path -- especially if it winds up clashing with their interests. These older teens can review the requirements and plan for themselves. The venturer, especially should by now be skilled at back-dating from a target date to schedule a series of steps towards completion of an adventure. Most camp staff have similar opportunities, plus they should know how blue cards work. Scout C is a wild card. You almost certainly need to listen carefully to her interests and have her start on an MB of interest to her with a counselor you trust. Then when she comes back with her first blue card, you will have data to let her know if she needs to pick up the pace to stay on track. For mature scouts, I always suggest that they be working on an elective and required MB every month. Most scouts this age would do well with personal management, personal fitness, and family life. Weekend campouts are a must if they want to earn Camping MB in 18 months. Really, they only need to attend one summer camp so they can rack up 6 camping nights. Everything else they need for advancement they should do on weekends or evenings with their troop, patrol, or their friends. Your next few SMCs will tell a whole lot more about where to direct them than any timetable that someone claims worked for their scouts.
    • Some things to keep in mind: Cyber Chip (rank requirement for Scout and Star):  Requires Scouts to write and sign a personalized contact with a parent / guardian and also to have a discussion with parents. Fitness requirements:
      Tenderfoot - practice & track for 30+ days
      Second Class - at least 30 minutes per day for 5 days a week for 4 weeks [must be done after completing TF #6c.]
      First Class - at least 30 minutes per day for 5 days a week for 4 weeks [must be done after completing SC #7a.] Merit badges to watch out for:
      Family Life - Track chores for 90 days.
      Personal Fitness - Outline a fitness program and track fitness for 12 weeks.
      Personal Management - Track income, expenses, and savings for 13 consecutive weeks.
      Camping - 20 nights of camping with specific requirements (cabin camping doesn't count).  6 nights at summer camp can count if the Scout sleeps under the sky or in a tent.
      Cooking - Not really difficult, but has some specific requirements that Scouts need to be aware of and follow.
        As far as leadership positions of responsibility go, there are around 15 PORs that count for purposes of the Eagle Scout rank, and some of them can be held by more than one Scout at the same time (Instructor, Den Chief, ASPL, one Patrol Leader per patrol, etc.).  So, the SPL can make troop-level appointments (in consultation with the Scoutmaster) and make sure that Scouts who need PORs for a particular rank get one.  Something else that can help with PORs is to have 6 month terms of office instead of 12 months.  
  • Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online