Open Discussion - Program

Share Scouting Topics here.

Subforums

1. Scouts with Disabilities

Where parents and scouters go to discuss unique aspects to working with kids with special challenges.

A place to chat about Scouting's biggest gathering

8908 topics in this forum

• 10 replies
  1. Scouts BSA Troop Resources Website

• 5 replies
    • 32 replies
    • 112 replies
    • 0 replies
  2. ZERO HOUR

• 14 replies
  3. Zebras and Ducks

• 13 replies
    • 9 replies
  4. YPT question

• 9 replies
    • 12 replies
  5. YP and G2SS Questions

• 48 replies
  6. Youth Training

• 20 replies
  7. Youth Training

• 3 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 20 replies
  • LATEST POSTS

• I love your website! Is this a template that's available for purchase or did someone donate their time and talents to create it just for your Troop? We are looking at getting our website up and running shortly and man, if we don't have to re-invent the wheel, it would make me happy!
    • I’m the CC of a brand-new Scouts BSA troop starting up. The SM and ASM are new to their roles, as am I. We have a founding group of about 5-6 Scouts to start, but as we’re the only girls’ troop serving a three-county district, we have the potential for very rapid growth over the next 2-3 years. —> What advice would you give to the SM to start off on the right foot and emphasize the patrol method? —> What can the troop committee do to support and encourage the patrol method? —> What practices can we put in place from the start that will help guide us to keep the patrol method at the forefront as we grow? Thanks!
    • I'm aware that this is an ooooold post, but it's still useful. In that vein, I found the "Membership Committee Guide" (33080) online.
    • Thanks @RichardB I think many are on edge these days.  As I'm sure you know, there is a lot of concern about erosion of program. I'm reaidng between the lines here and am guessing we overreacted to the term "overnighter".  If "overnighter" refers to the of sleeping overnight and doesn't mean that it's  single overnight - great. Personally - I don't think we need more definition, I'd just remove the term overnighter.  Camping implies sleeping overnight in the woods.  "overnighter" suggests one night.  I'd offer the terms that make the most sense to volunteers are: .den camping pack camping council organized camping Now that I read this again, I realize that there is an effort to overnghter to distinguish from day camps.  I don't think it's needed.  If one said "pack camping", I think we all understand that implies spending the night.
    • @Eagle94-A1 was no change in policy.   More effective communication would be my analysis.  Et al, do you really want to have a definition of overnight in Pack Overnighters?   Asking for a friend.  Just saying, on one hand, this thread says national changes the rules,  on the other a call for more definition.    Which is it? RichardB  
  • Who's Online (See full list)