Open Discussion - Program

Share Scouting Topics here.

Subforums

1. Scouts with Disabilities

Where parents and scouters go to discuss unique aspects to working with kids with special challenges.

A place to chat about Scouting's biggest gathering

8913 topics in this forum

• 10 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 32 replies
    • 112 replies
    • 0 replies
  1. ZERO HOUR

• 14 replies
  2. Zebras and Ducks

• 13 replies
    • 9 replies
  3. YPT question

• 9 replies
    • 12 replies
  4. YP and G2SS Questions

• 48 replies
  5. Youth Training

• 20 replies
  6. Youth Training

• 3 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 20 replies
  • LATEST POSTS

• My son was non-verbal due to his autism until he was almost 4.  We used sign language to help him communicate, but, it wasn't standard ASL.  Rather, we used word-order.  I'm not an expert but, as I understand it, when you see the signers along side a presentation they aren't signing a word-for-word translation.  Rather the signing has a different structure.  Word-order is basically learning the signs for "Be" and "Prepared" and using them in that order.  Anyway, I think this is the book we used.  It was 20 years ago now so the memory is foggy.
    • To be fair to those families.  When someone joins anything - be it simming, scouting, soccer, whatever - they do a little cost/budget/benefit analysis. When you start changing the costs, families inherently are going to re-do that analysis in their mind. For some they really can't afford the new amount.  For some, they just dislike having to pay more and so have a lot of frustration when they are asked to pay more.  Of others, they look at the new amount and think "no problem". As I mentioned in @Cubmaster Pete's thread - based on my back of the napkin calculations, this will increase the cost of Cub Scouts from $200 to $233 (17%) and Scouts BSA from $500 to $533 (7%).  These kind of increases are certainly not something I enjoy, but seems absorbable based on the benefits I see from the BSA.  My gut tells me that most people will be able to absorb the increase.  In my opinion, the specific things you get from the National Council are not worth an additional $33 a year.  But, the value I get from the Scouting program in the BSA system is easily worth a 7% to 17% increase.  The program structure in the BSA is very good, the activities provided by leaders for my kids outstanding, the advancement program is terrific, the facilities maintained by the councils & national outstanding.  The district & council level programming provided is a nice bonus to our unit activities.  The adult leader support & training that comes from volunteers & professionals is pretty extensive.  I'm sure I could easily name more.  Is it worth it to me to move to a less developed program over a 7% to 17% increase - I really don't think so.
    • I think they are referring to the BSA regulation about 2 deep leadership at every Scout function, no matter what it is.
    • Do samples have to be followed verbatim, or can they be modified to fit the pack? Of course this question is rhetorical.
    • Guide to safe Scouting requires two registered adults over 21 for all Scouting activities. 
  • Who's Online (See full list)