Open Discussion - Program

Share Scouting Topics here.

Subforums

1. Scouts with Disabilities

Where parents and scouters go to discuss unique aspects to working with kids with special challenges.

A place to chat about Scouting's biggest gathering

8911 topics in this forum

• 10 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 32 replies
    • 112 replies
    • 0 replies
  1. ZERO HOUR

• 14 replies
  2. Zebras and Ducks

• 13 replies
    • 9 replies
  3. YPT question

• 9 replies
    • 12 replies
  4. YP and G2SS Questions

• 48 replies
  5. Youth Training

• 20 replies
  6. Youth Training

• 3 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 20 replies
  • LATEST POSTS

• Nobody will, especially because nobody has heard about this. Of course, few people have heard of scout me in. Just to totally change this thread, how is advertising money spent in the BSA? I never see any ads from the BSA on anything. Does each council have to pay for ads or does national?
    • By way of reference here are the essential survival gear attached NASA's new astronaut flight suits (https://www.nasa.gov/feature/orion-suit-equipped-to-expect-the-unexpected-on-artemis-missions numbering is mine) Scouts could trade with an astronaut -- a full-size neckerchief for his/her kit -- and still have three optional items.
    • I laid my clothing between the bag and ground pad for a little extra loft and comfort. Barry
    • I like this. But some nitpicking: Get the scouts trained & Set the scouts loose: Maybe not if you're starting a pack? I'd add: get some expertise to look over your shoulder. In a perfect world this would be a commissioner. This is not a perfect world. It should be someone you respect. The training can't cover everything. Also, for troops, make sure the adults are all on the same page as to what scout led means. There are lots of different opinions. All the people you're recruiting for adult leadership have to be interested in this job and willing to learn.  
    • Well let's do the math 2,500,000 (Youth / Leaders / All in / Rounded up for ease of math) @ $33 = $82,500,000 less 525,000 LDS folks departing (yes yes I know, they may not have paid the full fees, lot of neat deals made, but let's press on) 1,975,000 (remaining) @ $33 = $65,175,000 Basic projected shortfall of $17,325,000 OR $8.77 per remaining participant to cover.  That does not factor in the insurance increase, Summit Bechtel Reserve Tax, Scouting Professional Pension shortfalls, liability to abuse cases holdback, and a myriad of other financial woes hanging around out there. $49 may be the number That would be close to $97MM in revenue
  • Who's Online (See full list)