Open Discussion - Program

Share Scouting Topics here.

Subforums

1. Scouts with Disabilities

Where parents and scouters go to discuss unique aspects to working with kids with special challenges.

A place to chat about Scouting's biggest gathering

8826 topics in this forum

• 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
  • LATEST POSTS

• Very, very well said @The Latin Scot. I learned in my life that attention to detail is a very important character trait.  It takes little effort to properly uniform.  That you invested the time to do so says a lot.  That's an important life lesson.  
    • Interesting ideas here.  The uniform of today is effectively: - BSA pants - t-shirt - scout shirt Our scouts wear uniforms constantly - but not in the field.  It seems to work pretty well for us.  Do we really want a uniform shirt to become something that is worn for hiking and other light activities?  My sense is that Scouts wear t-shirts in the field not because the uniform is unpractical - but that t-shirts, sweat shirts, flannel shirts, etc. are just the most practical choice.  If so, why try to replace that with a uniform? Sport teams wear uniforms so that you can tell the teams apart.  But, we don't need that for Scouting.  Do we want a long sleeve shirt when we see 80% of scouts wearing a short sleeve unform shirt?  Mor rugged fabric makes sense, but do we want the cost?  Why not tuck it in?  I get the allure to mimic the ruggedness of the military - they do have cool gear.  But, would it really help?
    • There's been lots of good advice on this thread.  My recommendations would be two fold: 1) Think about what you want to do and worry less about the labels.  What specifically do you want to do the first 3 months?  How specifically do you want the Scouts to run troop meetings as you get going?  How are Scouts going to decide their camping trips?  etc... 2) At every turn, if you feel like "an adult should do this", think instead of how can the Scouts do this?  What kind of subtle inspiration or guidance can I give them?  How can I give them a challenge or describe a task so that they can accomplish this on their own?   On your first meeting with the parents - I'd encourage you to focus on two things:
      1) Program, program, program.  These girls are joining a troop to have a great experience.  In getting going, the focus has to be on how to make that experience fun, challenging, and rewarding.   2) Support from parents.  It takes a lot of support to get a troop going.  A brand new troop can ride the enthusiasm of a few core leaders.  But, over time you're going to need parents to get engaged.  You're going to need more than those few scouts.  You'll probably want to get this troop to 32 scouts in 4 years.  That means a new patrol every year.  You'll need help with recruiting.  You'll need a treasurer to keep track of all those camp fess.  You'll need an advancement co-ordinator to keep track of awards needed and eventually the Life to Eagle process. You'll need a quartermaster to help figure out an keep track of gear.  If you're camping monthly, you'll need 3-4 good ASMs to help staff all these events.  You'll need merit badge counsellors.  You'll need a Committee Chair to keep this all organized for you.  Now is the time to start getting those rolls filled.
    • More than Webelos 3, I guess this is what I was going for.     Starting a New Troop 1. With only a small group of boys available. The Scoutmaster-to-be who finds himself with a small group of boys wanting to be Scouts is most fortunate. He will be able to devote his whole time to getting that individual touch with these boys, which a large number would make impossible. And, at the same time, the nucleus of a fine growing Troop with a real esprit de corps is being formed and the Scoutmaster can look forward to watching it become a full Troop with thirty-two Scouts. Lord Baden-Powell was once asked why a Troop should not exceed thirty-two members. His reply was that as a young man he found it impossible to get a personal touch and satisfactory results in sound training, with more than sixteen fellows. He went on to say: "Assuming that every other, Scoutmaster is twice as capable as myself, it is best for a Troop not to exceed thirtytwo." When the Scoutmaster is starting a Troop with a small group his immediate objective is to put into being the Patrol Method. At first, before the boys have passed their Tenderfoot requirements, the Scoutmaster-to-be may serve as temporary Patrol Leader, meeting with the boys once a week for a month (longer, if necessary) to train the boys thoroughly in •the fundamentals of Scouting so that they may pass their Tenderfoot requirements with a complete understanding of what Scouting is and what it means to the Scout just entering. As this preliminary group grows in number to, say, ten, twelve, or fourteen boys, the time comes when it is ready to take the shape of a Scout Troop of two Patrols,  
  • Who's Online (See full list)