Open Discussion - Program

Share Scouting Topics here.

Subforums

1. Scouts with Disabilities

Where parents and scouters go to discuss unique aspects to working with kids with special challenges.

A place to chat about Scouting's biggest gathering

8780 topics in this forum

• 48 replies
    • 10 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 32 replies
    • 0 replies
  1. Venmo

• 6 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 37 replies
  2. Scout Law

• 11 replies
    • 23 replies
    • 33 replies
    • 70 replies
    • 119 replies
    • 32 replies
  3. Unit Bylaws

• 50 replies
  • LATEST POSTS

• Our troop is planning on starting an Ad Altare Dei program, the BSA religious award for Roman Catholic scouts,  for interested scouts in our troop and a couple other local troops. The materials say the program could take 6-8 months but it doesn't seem at irst brush that it should take that long to compete. Has anyone run this program or seen it run recently?  How long did it take?  How often did you meet?  Any starting tips you'd like to pass along?
    • I don't know about satin hats or bonnets, whatever the heck that means.  But I've looked pretty rough when dropping my kids off at school, and once or twice when I noticed they left something important on the back seat, say lunch or some paper that needed to be turned in that morning I turned around and took it into school --- I didn't care that I hadn't showered, shaved, dressed for work yet, etc. Of course I wasn't the only one.  One cold morning on the way to school I noticed a car on the side of the road on an otherwise deserted stretch.  On the way back about a mile further along I saw a gentleman dressed in cartoon print pajama bottoms, a hoody, and a pair of crocs.  I pulled over and said "I bet you need a ride somewhere."  Yup, his car died on the way home from dropping his own kids off.
    • I can't imagine it working any way but turning into being a den leader. If I want to tell a bunch of kids what to do, I'll stay with my pack.
    • It's always fun to read something that just flat out does not fit in to the usual ideas. I certainly don't know how many kids are confused about their sex but my guess is every kid is confused about how they fit in. And the beauty of scouts is everyone is welcome. The only expectation is to try.
    • Everything SA  has published about the Patrol Method in the last 49 years has lacked depth, or worse, was incorrect, although all the bits and pieces were here and there until very recently.  Now even the scattered piece-parts are mostly gone.  This is an understandable situation because few - if any - at National Counsel know what the Patrol Method is - or was.  It was, for example, never BP'S "Patrol System," in which the "Patrol Leader" was always appointed by the "Officer" - the Scoutmaster.  Bill was two generations younger and lacked BP's background as a Victorian Lieutenant General. Bill built our "Patrol Method" with elected leaders - a school for representative democracy. The only "win" for Scouting  in the 13th ed. was the statement that a troop is formed of patrols ( rather than from Scouts ).  How that was slipped in by the real Scouters is a mystery, since BSA has been troop, troop, troop since the "Improved Scouting Program" cost BSA millions of members in the awful early 1970s.  Then, too, they knew better than the mere volunteers - or Bill.  Given decades of failure to train adults about Scouting, few of them understand the significance of that fragment of wisdom.   "One, two, three, four or five Patrols may form a Troop, but the Patrols are the working unit whenever practical and the Troop organization is designed to provide supervision, coordination, institutional loyalty and service."  B.S.A., The Patrol Method, 1938 ed. at p. 3. Look at the odious BSA model Troop Meeting Plan for the last couple of generations - 5 or ten minutes for the patrol - to be spent, we care told, on business.  That's backwards under the Patrol Method., where a Scout is to primarily experience Scouting, if not BSA, in a patrol context.  
  • Who's Online (See full list)