Open Discussion - Program

Share Scouting Topics here.

Subforums

1. Scouts with Disabilities

Where parents and scouters go to discuss unique aspects to working with kids with special challenges.

A place to chat about Scouting's biggest gathering

8777 topics in this forum

• 48 replies
    • 10 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 32 replies
  1. Scout Law

• 5 replies
    • 23 replies
    • 33 replies
    • 70 replies
    • 119 replies
    • 34 replies
    • 32 replies
  2. Unit Bylaws

• 50 replies
    • 12 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 90 replies
  • LATEST POSTS

• While doing advancement at the district and council level, I've met many wonderful scouters, both professional and volunteer.  These scouters are dedicated and do an outstanding job. With that said, I suspect our council is fairly common about processing Eagle paperwork.  From the time the scout gives his application to his scoutmaster, and the scoutmaster drives it into the council office ... and then it gets reviewed by the council ... and then it is sent to the EBOR ... and the EBOR is scheduled ... and the EBOR occurs ... and the paperwork is returned to the council ... and the scout receives confirmation that national has approved his Eagle rank ... it takes between 9 to 12 weeks.   By far the biggest delay is shuffling paper around and re-checking data that is already in scoutbook / ScoutNet.   So now with all units using ScoutBook, can we eliminate the Eagle application?  Heck, ScoutBook already has a report that mostly fills out the Eagle application.  The only two things on the application that are not in scoutbook are the reference letters and the project workbook.  Beyond that, shuffling the paperwork is just redundant extra labor that slows things down and also adds the risk of losing the paperwork of the project or the reference letters or the pictures. Can we re-design the process and eliminate the Eagle application?  Can we take the 9 to 12 week turn-around and change it to 2 to 4 week turn-around ?   Can we save the labor, the gas, the postage, etc ?
    • I would argue that the younger teen and pre-teen girls don't really understand how people react to what they are wearing -- they are just wanting to look "in", and probably care a lot more about what their female friends think that about what boys think.    What I don't understand is the parents who don't advise/enforce appropriate clothing for their girls.   These kids are not driving themselves to the store to buy their clothing with money they earned themselves.  
    • Actually, they had tried modernizing, repeatedly, especially starting in the early 1970's and continuing into the 1980's.   Those uniforms were terrible. I really did not appreciate being mistaken for a flight attendant when in uniform. 
    • But what scale is appropriate at what age?   I still like the old version of the Brownie Promise "I promise to do my best to love God and my country, to help other people every day, especialy those at home."   This was for up to age 9, and helping at home was something that girls could really do. In the newer program, the Junior Journey "Agent of Change" (for girls starting at age 9)  is encouraging civic action.   An example that is held up as a model is persuading other people to volunteer at an animal shelter.   I'd rather the younger scouts get in the habit of actualy helping people, not just badgering other people to help.
    • Nine.  The first nine points of the BSA law summarizes these nine (at least if you think that "Kind" summarized "A Friend to Animals".  
  • Who's Online (See full list)