Open Discussion - Program

Share Scouting Topics here.

Subforums

1. Scouts with Disabilities

Where parents and scouters go to discuss unique aspects to working with kids with special challenges.

A place to chat about Scouting's biggest gathering

8939 topics in this forum

1. Train The Trainer

• 5 replies
    • 10 replies
  2. POR Instructor req.s

• 2 replies
  3. Help with lashing.

• 3 replies
    • 1 reply
  4. Buying tents.

• 20 replies
  5. Scout House

• 3 replies
    • 9 replies
    • 4 replies
  6. USScouts.org

• 4 replies
    • 10 replies
  7. Scout Spirit

• 12 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 12 replies
    • 0 replies
  • LATEST POSTS

• We have a Den Leader who I have witnessed vaping in camp 3 or 4 times.  If I am seeing it the Scouts are seeing and its unacceptable as far as I am concerned.  Just recently a Girl Scout in our community as part of her Gold Award created an anti-vaping campaign aimed at middle school and high school students.  More than ever there shouldn't be leaders vaping where any Scout may see the behavior.  Just a few days ago another parent/leader told me the Den Leader also vapes outside our meeting place regularly.  I need to find a polite way to bring this up in committee meetings aside from shaking my finger in his face and telling him to knock that crap off.
    • Wilderness Survival was never on the required list for Eagle. Bird Study, on the other hand, told a scout a lot about the environment he was in and how the actions of man impacted it. Which, I think, was the point of that MB being required in 1915 less than two decades after the passenger pigeon was declared extinct.
    • Too bad, ussscouts.org is like using a webpage from the mid 1990s.  Ugg.  Boyscouttrail.com?
    • I only got through 12 minutes before stopping (had to get my daughter from swim practice).  As soon as I heard “home-based, church-supported”, I cringed a little. Everyone will start with the best of intentions, but without a more concrete structure or plan I don’t see busy families creating something that will last longer than a few months at most.  Granted, there may be more laid out that I didn’t get to, but if that first twelve minutes is really all there is to it, I don’t see how it’s that much different than what a lot of us do with our kids on a regular day-to-day basis. 
    • A big part of this is structural.  Since troops are owned by Chartered Organizations there is an inherent longevity that does not exist in the GSUSA.  Further, the GSUSA has a rule (as I understand it) that requires that troops carry over no money year to year.  On the flip side, pack/troop bank accounts are never seen by the BSA or local council.  Our council has no idea how much money is in reserve in our troop.  We actively maintain a reserve so that we can spend as needed instead of constantly chasing money. 
  • Who's Online (See full list)