• LATEST POSTS

• My daughter’s school has had two snow days so far. We had two in-service days classified as weather contingencies, so students now have to come in those days - but don’t have to stay longer into the summer. Fingers crossed that’ll be it.
    • ""It Depends"".   Pot luck?  Catered by La Rive Gauche ?   It is up to the Pack, depending on their bank account, their desire for intimacy, simplicity, whether it's a "par-tay" to celebrate BSA's birthday or another Pack Meeting to hand out rank and awards.  AOL crossover?  Magician?  Clown in town?  Scales and Tales?  Charge a small fee, a large fee, sell a lot of popcorn, beefsticks  and campcards and the Pack pays for it?  One year our ACM went shopping, found an Out Back whose manager was very Scout friendly and who evidently needed some "numbers"  for his district rating.  He catered our B&G FOR FREE !  Strip steaks,  potatoes, salad, rolls, butter and jam,  chocolate brownies....  we had to provide beverages...  mucho leftovers, little cleanup.   "It Depends". 
    • The Beading Ceremony should be enough of a "present"  present.  I like the idea of an antique(!) Cub book and photo bookmark, but if it were me, I would present it privately, after the ceremony. 
    • My district has NO snow days built in. They had been scheduled to release the Friday of Memorial Day weekend.  We are now up to 6 June. At one area camp, staff week may be impacted. At another, First session will be four days in.   
    • Our pack had a financial model where Scouts paid for events as they go.  So, one year we decided to have our B&G catered.  It ended up being about $5-10 per person.  We had no objections from families.  In fact, most of our families told us that they preferred paying a little bit to avoid having to pull together a potluck dinner. I think you really just have to know your pack families.  $20-$40 to attend the B&G wasn't going to break any of our families, so we traded some convenience over saving money.  Worked well for us.  Had we been a pack with a different set of families, maybe we wouldn't have done that.  
  • Who's Online (See full list)