Open Discussion - Program

Share Scouting Topics here.

Subforums

1. Scouts with Disabilities

Where parents and scouters go to discuss unique aspects to working with kids with special challenges.

A place to chat about Scouting's biggest gathering

8797 topics in this forum

• 3 replies
    • 1 reply
  1. Webelos camping with Troop

• 13 replies
    • 4 replies
  2. video documentary

• 1 reply
    • 8 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 9 replies
    • 8 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 11 replies
    • 11 replies
  3. Advice for a scout family

• 14 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
  • LATEST POSTS

• We did a gear shakedown and hike today. Many members are missing items.  One common thing was not having a waterproof stuff sack for their sleeping bag.  I gave them all trash compactor bags to line their packs, which works a heck of a lot better than a pack cover.  But, it's critical to keep the sleeping bag dry. Some were missing a fleece or other warm layer for high altitude.  I had sent out a link to a great Old Navy fleece that was on sale for dirt cheap early spring, but most ignored that.  My son was trying a frameless pack.  That isn't going to work.  He's going back to his heavier Gregory pack.  It will transfer the weight to his hips better. My Zpacks Arc Haul is great.  Love how light it is and it carries well. We got some more experience with the remote canister stoves.  I found an 8 quart pot in our shed, but from what I've read, 6 quart pots are plenty for a crew of 10.  I think we have some that size in our shed. I gave them two 1 liter Smartwater bottles and a Gatorade bottle plus a CNOC 2 liter container.  The Gatorade bottle will be what they use for drink mix so we know what to send up in the bear bags.  We have no dry camps.
    • I took a few scout staves (the standard scout-shop kind) on a camping trip and the scouts had fun with them:   used them to haul their gear,  used them as poles for their dining fly, actually carried them hiking . . . Now at least one of the scouts is saying that we should give a scout staff to every new scout joining the troop. Thing is,  those scout-shop staffs seems rather heavy.   Has anyone tried using bamboo poles for scout staves (including using for dining fly poles)?  They have the merit of being lightweight, inexpensive, and readily available: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MPXVSHO/
    • All I know is that when one scout specializes in splitting firewood, life is good. 
    • Well it is still a Bill which will be debated by politicians so I put it here. IMO, the bill needs more public awareness. When it becomes law then its NEWS and I will move to Open Discussion. https://www.mountaineers.org/blog/soar-act-to-help-groups-get-outside Sound reasonable? RS
    • IMHO, ideally the CO should do this as they select and approve adult leaders. But the reality for me has been the CO does not do this. Since the Program (common goal) is easier to deliver with adults who are on the same page (who then attract similar adults), the unit leader and committee have to seek and recruit those adults and possibly turn away those who volunteered first.  I can recall a Pack trip to a AA baseball game. We managed to get scouts and adult leaders to attend in uniform, the fact it was Scout night with a discount helped. Hurray, easier to find and keep together. Hot night, by the third inning, I noticed some leaders who were also drivers, having a beer. Heh its a ball game, gotta have a beer!  Despite existing BSA guidelines regarding alcohol, we adults could not get on the same page, so no more ball games. Now, our unit is struggling with adults who use their cellphones while driving to events with scouts.  IMO, guidelines are only as good as the adults. Recruit better adults. My $0.02,
  • Who's Online (See full list)