Open Discussion - Program

Share Scouting Topics here.

Subforums

1. Scouts with Disabilities

Where parents and scouters go to discuss unique aspects to working with kids with special challenges.

A place to chat about Scouting's biggest gathering

8917 topics in this forum

• 3 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 16 replies
    • 70 replies
  1. Eagle COH Props

• 27 replies
  2. Eagle Award

• 1 reply
    • 17 replies
  3. Retention

• 34 replies
  4. More about Retention

• 0 replies
  5. Sash question

• 16 replies
  6. Parents

• 9 replies
    • 12 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 22 replies
    • 10 replies
  • LATEST POSTS

• Different councils run their Scouting for Food drives at different times of the year. National Capital Area Council usually does theirs in the fall. Ditto Last Frontier Council, which will be passing out flyers Nov 2 and collecting cans Nov 9. Sam Houston Area Council passes out flyers last weekend in January and collects cans first weekend in February. I wonder what month is the MOST effective time to do it....do you rake in more donations early in the fall?  Or more in the middle of winter, after the holidays are over and done with?   I wonder which council has the BIGGEST Scouting for Food drive....
    • Yes, as you observed, we re-schedule or re-locate activities due to lightning where the odds are even less.   
    • Just to put this in perspective, although EEE is a serious disease, it is NOT "rampant" or common in any way --- even in Massachusetts, which has more cases than other states. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the population of Massachusetts is 6,902,149.  According to the Massachusetts Department of Health, there have been 9 confirmed cases of EEE, resulting in 1 death. (There were also 7 cases of EEE infecting horses, and 1 case confirmed in a goat.) Obviously, this means your chance of dying of EEE in Massachusetts is 1 in 6,902,149.  Your chance of contracting the disease in Massachusetts is just under a in 766,905.  That is close to your odds of being struck by lightning while in Wyoming (about 1 in 1 million). Do those kinds of numbers actually justify cancelling activities and creating a whole lot of hoopla?  
    • Unfortunately, no.  Because we don't use Scoutbook (we use Troopmaster), I can only view items on Scoutbook.  The good thing is that the MC for the COH is a super bright kid who understood my instructions to ignore the merit badges with an 'R' next to them when creating the program, and add in the list of merit badges and awards I emailed him last night. My daughter asked me this morning if fixing the BSA software would be considered an Eagle project.    The project of the century, haha. 
    • Are you able to put the items in using Scoutbook?  Scoutbook seems more reliable (overall) than Internet Advancement.
  • Who's Online (See full list)